Sunday, July 11, 2021

Princeton, in the mountains

I’ve had a spectacular day of play in the wilderness. I was up at 630 thanks to Madigan but I didn’t actually leave my camp on the ATV till 930. I enjoyed toast and coffee and messed about.  It’s always a surprise when I dig about in the camper finding stuff I stowed last fall.
On the ATV we just rode and rode, stopping here and there for Madigan to walk about and get a drink from the creeks.  I also shared my bottled water. I sited in the Winchester Coyote at 100 yards making a sufficient pattern first shots.  I’d later shoot some more and group them all in a few inches. I was just glad I’d hit a bear or deer at 100 yards if I’d just pulled the rifle out. It’s my back up rifle. I have the Ruger 30:06 stainless steel (Sexcaliber) as my main rifle.  It was my first stainless steels and when it came out of the box it caught the light just so I thought of Excalibur. My friend Bill, said, ‘it’s sexy, that’s for sure.”  That’s when it got it’s name Sexcaliber

I saw one rabbit, a big brown one.

I had expected I might see bear or deer but the heat is so bad everything is in hiding in the shade.  

Back at the camper at 130 I had sandwiches and Madigan slept. It’s a full day for him. So much excitement. I had a shower and that cooled me off. It’s really hot and dry.  Forest fire season.

Later I took the Ruger bolt action 223 and the 300 win mag over to where someone has a metal table top for a back drop for target practice.  I was at 50 yards and show off about 30 shots getting a nice grouping even though they’re slightly right of centre. I’d adjust the sites but the next time I shot I’ll be slightly off still.  I’ve a little pulll on the trigger. It doesn’t happen in motion or at the range. Only when I’m leaning across my ATV or up against my truck. It’s the grouping that counts.  Everything is fine.  Better pattern than earlier with the Winchester.
I then explored a whole new area of the mountain I’d not been in years. I ‘ll definitely come back there for deer in fall sometime.  

I took off my shirt while I driving the ATV.   Now my back is all red.I’ve got steak soaking in Lea and Perkins.  The ATV is already loaded. I figure I’ll head back first thing in the morning.  Wake up and  go.















No comments: