Monday, December 4, 2023

Packing up Fuzion

I’m counting the days and sleeps. It’s so close. I brought the Adventurer Camper in from Chilliwack on Friday. Merry Maids came over Saturday morning and cleaned it.  Then Kelvin from Travco came in the afternoon and made sure it was trip worthy. He de winterized it too.  He’s been a true godsend doing great work and a terrific fund of knowledge.  All the while I’ve been moving things from the Fuzionto the camper.  Nicoletta told me she and Erenest has everything packed in boxes when they recently bought their Thor bus. They were able to transfer in a few hours from their old RV but ‘the work began when we set up and began unboxing.”  I’ve done a little of that but it’s clearly a superior strategy. 
I gave a way three green garbage bags of clothes and sheets as well as throwing out as many.  I’m a regular pack rat.  I loved when my sailboat was set to take off on an hours notice.  The plan is to get the license to tow the Fuzion and then maybe I’ll do just that rather than using the camper.  The camper though is like the boat, so convenient compared to this liveabloard.  I’ve a storage locker full too.  I really must downsize.
This trip for a few months will challenge my pack rat tendencies. I’ll remain lean and mean.  I’ve all the gadgets and such I need for work and play.  Hunting and fishing took a lot for gear but travelling does not. Madigan has a place to stay when I go out shopping too. Far better than a motel room 
Just read about thee Sythians, the nomadic, light skinned blue eyes, sometimes red haired folk that flourished in the Steppe region from Thrace to Mongolians with domestic horses , and flocks of cattle and sheep along with wagons.  Early Gypsy’s .  7000 BC to 3000 BC.  I suppose I identify more with nomads and sailors .  I loved my first Winnipeg house and might have remained a city dwelling suburban were it not for a divorce. I loved the country more and especially loved my Errington Homestead.  Again a house lost to a divorce and back to the city. I loved the sailboat and travelling by water to Mexico and living there that year in Sea of Cortex, later sailing Solo in Winter to San Francisco and Hawaii. I liked my beach apartment and the  penthouse apartment overlooking Kits. They all had appeal but I’ve been on the boat and here much of the last decade. I’d hope to sail across the Atlantic or take the inside passage to the Caribbean but my brother’s illness and Covid intervened.  This was a great place in Covid with the nearby Brunette River Trail
Now I’m all set to journey south again, Last year I took the Mini and stayed in the Best Western in Yuma.  I loved going to Nogales,  The reconnaissance was great,
This summer’s work stint in the camper at Logan Lake went well. So now extend the time to months.  
Laura is visiting next week till end of December then Madigan and I will be alone.  
Laura had the Replica perfume and suggested I get the Replica for men. I did and it’s kind of Christmas cinnamon but a little like my Seattle perfume I bought then dropped to my chagrin and bought again.  Expensive that. I just transferred it to the Camper.  It’s not like the limited clothing I had bicycling across Europe or motorcycling across the US to Sturges and back but there’s limits. I have two small duffles but shorts and skirts and sandals take a lot less space than hunting cammo, offshore heavy weather gear, winter clothing. I’m taking my new Harley Davidson Nightster Special on a rack on the front of the truck.  I’ll pack my Harley leather jacket and a couple of helmets and jeans.  I’ve a set of boots.  Every recreational activity has its gear. One of the reasons I’d like to take this Fuzion toy hauler down so I could carry the harley and Honda Rancher ATV in the garage. I’ve a foldable boat strapped to the side too. So this has all I like.  The camper is perfect for travel with the dog and frankly I’ve been moved to so do this since reading travels with Charlie by Steinbeck just as Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mainentance influenced my motorcycle journeys as Joshua Slocums’ Sailing Alone around the World influenced my sailing.,
So I’m not fully here.  Living in the moment and presence and one day at a time and seize the day are all very well but I’m excited about the coming road trip and am a bit in the future. 
Today is my last day clearing up nicknacks and preparing for Kelvin’s to come tomorrow to winterize this Fuzion for storage and repair the door latch in the Camper.  Paul is coming on Wednesday to tow the Fuzion to Chilliwack leaving me to stay and work in the Camper Wednesday and Thursday.  In the rain and wet I’m taking taxis to work and about this week so I don’t need to move the camper.  

It’s all very exciting.

Thank you Jesus   Thank you God.

No comments: