Saturday, December 16, 2023

Yuma, Laura joins us

I sometimes am quite amazed at all the moving parts in the grand adventure. I resist worrying. I have to. There’s so much that could go wrong but thankfully mostly everything goes right. I pray a lot.  Really a lot. 
Laura was afraid of making the Phoenix Yuma connection. There’s no direct flight or good connecting flights from Vancouver to Yuma. Laura’s sister was a stewardess and they both poured over the scheduled without finding anything that would not cause panic for Laura.  I finally said I’d meet her in Phoenix.  The flight from Vancouver to Phoenix was perfect.  I just had to drive 3 hours to get to her. 
Her flight was to arrive at 2 pm.  I decided leaving at 9 am would give me sufficient time. I’d drop off another load at the storage locker to make room for her and her stuffin the camper. I’d pick up my laundry I’d dropped off the day before at 9 am.  Then I’d be on the listening to the conclusion of the audio book, Louis Penny, Madness of Crowds.
I was again thankful for my Ford GPS guidance system.  It took me right to the employee parking lot of Sky Harbour International Airport.  Thanks to Google I was then able to find out Terminal 4 was where international arrivals and west jet came in.  I only had to circle the airport twice to find the turn off. Then I got into Terminal 4 Parking only to have my antennae hitting all the overhead pipes to my horror.  I was thankful to be park.  It seemed like my truck’s roof would be torn off countless times but only the antennae was scraping over head.
When I stepped out of the elevator with Madigan a delightful agent asked what I was looking for. I told him and he pointed to the arrrivals 30 feet away. The sign said the flight was on time.  I was a half hour early and had time to walk Madigan who was very excited with all the activity around the terminal.
Then she was there!  Madigan was beside himself, jumping up and down.  I was hugging her.  She was happy and we were all glad that the moving bits had aligned just fine. I was even able to find my truck on the second try and drive out of the parking lot to the sound of the antennae making recognisable music on the overhead pipes.  Still I was glad to be free of the parking long and back on the highway listening to the GPS lady’s directions
It was beginning Friday rush hour and a whole lot more traffic heading to San Diego than there had been coming in. I was glad to get off Hwy 10 and back on Hwy 8 heading home We stopped a couple of times and walked Madigan because he wouldn’t stop trying to hump Laura. He was great prancing about the desert as part of the gang but bored in the truck thought she was irristible. I had to hold him to my side but he still wined and complained. It was nice to stop in the dessert though.  I took Laura’s picture by a large Saguarro, the perennial cactus .
 The views driving were spectacular. It was great that the connections had been made and I’d even found my truck in the parking lot.  
Fortuna Road suddenly appeared and then we were here at Bonita Mesa.  My tiny home.  The camper we’d shared on many a hunting and camping trip in BC, here in the hot and dry beside Laura Sumac and Spanish Dagger. The sunset was a spectacular yellow and orange as we pulled up to the camper.  
I left her to settle in and have a break from Madigan planning to pick up KFC chicken.  I found the Fry’s immense grocery story by Fortuna and Frontage road first.  The roast chicken was healthier and they had potatoe salads and lots of other things we’d need this week.  I bringing back bags of groceries and drinks. I heard Laura say what she always says, “but there’s no more room in the refidgerator.”   We made do
I portioned out soft drinks, roast chicken, and salad. Then it was lifting the tv off its bed room mount and setting it up on the kitchen counter to watch while we ate dinner.  This was something we did so many times before. I’d had steaks planned but forgot to take them out of freezer.  The chicken was terrific and we shared with Madigan who ate his fill.
Reacher, the Lee Child, creation, season 2 was on Prime. “My sister and John are watching this too,” Laura said. We all like Reacher.  Two episodes in we were ready for bed.  I replaced the tv on the bedroom mount.  
Madigan whined off and on through out the night because he couldn’t get up on the bed.  At home he’d be lying in between us but here he was forlon, jealous and miffed.  Also the propane ran out making it cold for the little guy around 5 am.  I got up at 8 and took him in the truck for more propane. 
Laura was up when we return. Instant oats and coffee.  Madigan had to be put in the truck to stop bothering Laura.  She’s had her shower and is drying her hair. She ‘s really beautiful looking good in the sand coloured Harley Davidson Yama t shirt I bought her,  
This morning we’re off to Mexico to make appointments for our dental visits. Sandra our much admired FB friend told us she loved St. Thomas so that’s our first choice. Laura’s not been so we’ve leave the truck on the American side and have a walk about Nogales, I’d like to find the hearing aid folk and get a couple of pairs.  Another couple of pairs of glasses are planned. We’ll watch for gifts for the nephews and for Laura it’s her grand kids.  Last time I was there on a Saturday they had a band playing in the park.  
I love the atmosphere in Yuma but the Mexican enthusiasm is such a contrast and fun.  Yuma is the snowbird capital of the west with all us older folk visiting right now I met a ‘senior’ from Oliver yesterday. Nogales by contrast is young and professional. The town is full of health care workers . 
Laura is cutting down the bouquet of flowers I bought her, They have to sit in a cup because I’ve not got a vase. Something for the list as I do enjoy getting her flowers on occasion She brightens up our life,  That’s for sure. Madigan is such a dog and I can tend to all work and no play.  
I’m enjoying having a ‘holiday’ today.  Yesterday was the ‘work’ of picking up Laura and all week I’ve been doing virtual work despite the failure of the Telus roaming and rescue of T Mobile and Star Link that kept the process going.  Next week I have about 20 hours of clinic and then Laura and I have a true holiday for another 10 days, off the clock.  We can focus on self care. I’ve got the lawn chair set up outside and expect to get a couple of hours of tanning mid day.  I’m scheduling this as an important rest and recuperation activity.  
I walked Madigan to the dessert where he did his business. It’s a good walk so he’s doing his physio therapist work.   I’m just needing to do more stretching and exercising to hopefully address the bank pain and instability.  This hot desert clime is so good for lungs and joints.  I’m blessed to be here.
I’m blessed to have Laura here now too. 
Thank you God . Thank you Jesus.!!!!









No comments: