Sunday, December 17, 2023

Los Algodones, Mexico

Yesterday we enjoyed the golden sunrise. We had Ethiopian Yergercheffe coffee. I have a small portable grinder from DMOFWH with rechargeable battery and usb cable. It’s perfect for the camper.  I’ve enjoying the little Courmia steam espresso maker.  I’m still using Canadian honey and have coffee cream.  Truly epicurean.  
We walked Madigan in the desert area next to us. He loves to run about off leash. There are a lot of dogs in the Bonita Mesa RV Resort and their masters let their dogs off leash there but every keeps them close.  Lots of little dogs and some big one, the cutest being the furry chihuahua. Madigan met him once already and we passed him again with his big dog partner. His mistress was pedalling him to the desert area in the bike carrier .
He was not happy when we left him in the camper. But it’s his job to work part time as a guard dog to earn his kibbles.  
We took the truck and headed east along HWY 8 past Yuma and Riverhaven to the sign a couple of miles east pointing south for Mexico. It was noon then and a line up which turned out to be cars heading into Mexico.  Very few were going to the parking lot and cars in the know were squeezing past us on the inside to get to the parking lot turn off. The natives that and charge $6 a day to park there.
It was Laura’s first time in Mexico and quite surprised by the casual soldier who checked her purse and my pack sack with less enthusiasm than the bouncers at the disco.  We were in Mexico again.  There was that profusion of colour and chaos with countless signs for dentists and pharmacies. English and Spanish signs.  Markets along the sidewalks and on the corners men standing to take us to our destinations to get the fee for bringing us to the business. 
I was standing in front of this shop and the fellow asked what I was looking for.  “Hearing aids and St. Thomas Dentistry.”  The shop across from us sold hearing aids but the fellow wanted $2200 a pair which is what those cost in Canada. Around the corner was St. Joseph Dental.
Sandra Ford our face book friend who worked in administration for an eastern university has been in touch with Laura and I for years. She’d recommended St. Thomas.  I’d only had the optometrist who provided me glasses last year had recommended a dentist but we followed Sandra’s advise and were glad we did.  She and her son had come to St. Thomas several times and had major work done well,
Mara the receptionist greeted us and immediately sang the praises of Sandra and her son.  ‘She’s such and fine lady. He’s such a fine boy.”  
Laura and I signed the disclaimers and the notice of any other illness. We’re healthy.   
Laura went in first.  I followed and they did X-rays.  “Your teeth are okay.” I wasn’t surprised as I’ve the best dentist in the west, Dr. Doug Lovely in New Westminster.  I think of him as a saint since I came to him when I’d lost a tooth and looked alike a pirate. Until Covid he was doing regular check ups and any work that needed doing. I’d stopped going to teeth cleaning except in the south because for whatever reason I’d be sick for a day or two after a street cleaning in the north.  I put it down to bacteremia and the malaise being worsened by the stress of work. After teeth cleaning in the south I laid on the beach.  It could have been the fluoride or something used in the north but all I had to do the next day was lie in the sun.  The technician did a terrific cleaning fast and efficient without pain and I was done. The first I’d had since Covid and I was pleased
Laura by contrast had her first cleaning in years ‘maybe a decade’. ‘They caused my gums to bleed and hurt so badly,’ she said.  “This didn’t and it feels so good.”
They had a chart of the work to be done and estimated 2 or 3 appointments. I was okay with the cost which was a percentage of what it would cost in Canada. Laura had a couple of teeth that had broken since Covid so had expressed anxiety.  Now she’d have a solution.  Covid interrupted a lot of medical care.  She was fortunate she didn’t have pain but was brushing and using listerine several times a day.  She was really happy with the cleaning.
I was happy we’d be able get the work done in the time she was here.  Root canals and crowns but all able to be done this coming week.  We set the first apt for Tuesday and likely the second would be Friday.  When Doug did a root canal and crown for me it took a week between the surgery and crowning because the lab had to prepare the crown.  Los Algodones is a dental town and likely could have a lab prepare anything that day for the price. It’s that kind of place ready to serve the needs of the travelling snowbirds. I expect marathons of dental work get done in days between flights here that would be done in weeks elsewhere.  I had thought it would take two weeks at least guessing Laura would need some major work for cracked teeth and an impacted wisdom tooth but no, one week,  So by Christmas she’ll be done and we’ll have her second week here without obligations or appointments.  Hooray.
Thank you Sandra
Thank you St. Thomas Dental Clinic 













No comments: