Saturday, December 9, 2023

Vancouver to Tillamook, Oregon - First day Trip to Yuma

I woke up at 6 am and decided to head out. Sun would be up in an hour. I just had to detach the lines and climb in the truck with Madigan, the adventurous cockapoo.  I left the BCRV Park at 630. The alarm on my Harley Davidson Nightster special began to wail as I left the entrance. I tried everything I could think of to get it into transport mode, even putting my key fob in the saddle bags.  It just kept alarming, whining, lights flashing and screaming as I drove down the highway towards the border crossing.
Barnes HD at the Langley turn off was near the border crossing.  It was 7 am. I filled up the truck at the Chevron with the 2 $100 cards I bought with credit card points.
I then drove the little ways to Barnes and parked in front of service. I bought my first real Harley Davidson from Barnes. The Roadster which  Laura and I loved .  I drove her all over BC camping in pup tents in all kinds of weather .  Barnes was great for services.  The Nightster Special I bought new from Trev.  Trev Deely is great too but they were in the other direction from the border.  
It was around 8 pm rafter I’d read everything on the internet and studied several utube video’s that one of the Barnes service guys arrived.  He said he didn’t know how to put the Nightster special into transport because only one switch did both lights and normally transport mode is achieved by pressing the left and right switch.  Another service guy arrived and said, “I don’t know how the Nightster special transport mode works but you can take out the main fuse and that will solve the problem.”  A minute alter he’s back with a screw driver and shows me how to take out the main fuse , handing it to me and telling me how to put it back in when I get to Yuma.  I asked him if I owed him anything. “No just have a great trip and enjoy the ride.’   Typical Barnes Harley guys.  Living the life. A young service guy arrived and said he’d ridden down and back to Yuma on his Harley over a weekend and to have a great time.  
What a send off.  
At the border, I’d never taken a camper or trailer through. I had horror thoughts of the who thing being inspected and searched.  I had nothing to declare and my only concern was as I’d used the camper for hunting I worried 22 shells which fall out of pockets would be hiding somewhere.  
“Any fruit or vegetables?”  Then the standard questions, where are you going, what for, how much money , etc.  ‘That’s good , enjoy your trip.”  I think there’s an advantage to being older.  It was 930 when I left the border.  

Driving through the mad dash of Tacoma with 8 lanes a wonderful American driver honking his horn pointed to the back of the camper. I waved my thanks and  switching lanes made my way to the shoulder where I stopped with flashing lights.  The hook up between camper and truck had come undone with the cable dragging. I bungee corded it down and was was so fortunate to turn in at Coombs RV. 
Www.coumbsbrv.com 3052 Pacific Ave.  S.E.  Olympia WA 98501 300-357-6506. Parts, trailer and 5th Wheel Towing. 
They were fantastic.  The family owned business had the part needed and the young guy took apart the cable and redid the wiring while I waited.  I even had time to walk Madigan out back where he had his morning constitutional .  What lovely helpful competent experienced people. The cost was minimal and an hour pit stop at most had me back on the road , like an Indie RV pit stop! I loved the people.  Admittedly I was still feeling the glow of crossing the border and heading south on a new adventure.  What great service!  Given the night driving I’d later do they really were a god send. 

I headed south and enjoyed the drive to Seattle recollecting all the trips I’d made this way, in different vehicles, cars, trucks and   different motorcycles. I really was enjoying carrying my own toilet, bed, kitchen and table and chairs.  Madigan was content to curl up close to me and lay his chin upon my thigh.
I did really well until I got lost passing through Portland. I headed west to Seaside but second guessed myself and headed south. I didnt have a good map and my truck navigation system only worked with names.  I wasn’t even sure Seaside was right.  I ended up on this goddawfull twisting bypasss and finally stopped to buy a map but the gas attended didn’t have one.  
“Just go back to Brook something and continue on to Seaside.  I retraced my path and was on my way to Seaside again when I saw a sign for Tillamook. I’d seen that on a rest area map of Oregon.  So I headed through the forest park up to 1000 feet altitude and what they called ‘rough road’.  It was paved but called ‘rough road’.  I thought they should see the logging roads I take the truck and camper on.  But it was night when I left Portland and lots of traffic. I’d been dozy coming into Portland but with all the traffic and the twisting and turning roads I was hyped following #6 to Tillamook on the 101.  The  I5 has the high pass and the weather reports said ice on the road. I’d decided I’d wanted to take the coast if only for my joy travelling along the Orgegon beaches.  I still tear up think of my cockapoo Gilbert who lost his eyes late in life and was so scared bumping into things till he ran free on the Oregon beaches.  Being a sailing dog I’d done lots of beaches and remembered and was full of joy running about like a puppy again.  Laura and I were so touched to see his happiness. After that his confidence returned.

I pulled into an RV campground south of Tillamook.  It was dark and I just parked in their driveway.   I slept a few hours waking at 4 am rested before heading out this morning  I let $30 not seeing a night check in till I was heading out. I stuff ed that in the box having planned to slip it in the door. I left my name andd phone number on the outside of the envelope.  I had another 2 hours of night driving and then parked on the side of the highway beside a beach. I slept for another hour lulled by the crashing surf.   In the morning light i saw I was parked beside a side saying ‘no overnight camping’.  It has really only been a couple of late morning hours of napping. 

Now I’ve driven 8 hours to south of Eureka , 200 miles morth of San Francisco.  We’ve been eating egg McMuffin and Big Macs and even stopped for Fish at the Mad Norwedigan’s fish and chips plates in Port Oxford I love.  I’ve stopped a few times at different beaches and this little guy has delighted in racing all over and doing circles around me.  What spectacular views. It was hard going since Eureka looking for a place to camp. I’ve pleased with this .$33 for a campsite as part of the state system. I’ll be up early and leave.  It says I’ve another 12 hours to go.  I’m making progress. I drive all day with short breaks and only seem to do 7 or 8 hours of travel on the map.  It’s a long haul.  

Today I ve had the joy of listening to the audiobook, the Madness of Crowds by the most incredible author Louis Penny.  I read an earlier work of hers and love her writing and characters.  Audiobooks really help with driving. When I commuted I listened to grand rounds pod cast , being able to complete a family medicine, internal medicine, neurology or psychiatry grand rounds  going both ways.  Sometimes I’d complete 3 a week.  No surprise I was seriously up today and broad based in my knowledge.  I feel this Madness of Crowds books should be a bio ethics required reading re eugenics.

I’m going to get to bed and get some sleep.  Maybe read some B.N. Rundell western.  Madigan is already asleep.  What a great ride.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you!!!!






























No comments: