Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Summer Camping Holiday

It was a glorious week. I’d felt very burnt out.  Overwhelmed by aging, government, threat of disease, threat of war.  So much uncertainty. Anxiety and despair in work at an all time high.  Denial rampant. Lies and terror. Each day I began to go through the motions.  Now I feel revived.  Time alone is replenishing in my work.  But also at my age.  My puppy, Madigan, is the greatest companion.

We loaded the truck.  I had au femme clothes and thought anonymity.  I had the Vespa. I picked up the Camper and the dinghy.  I loaded up with gas and water in Chilliwack and stopped to shop for groceries in Hope. I bought bags of ice to help the fridge along. Once it got going it worked just fine.

I changed clothing before Manning Park.  I lost the closed toed sandals and put on the open toed sandals. I had red nail polish pedicure done when I also had my French manicure done. I left the t shirt I was wearing on but donned the wheat coloured cotton skirt with the large buttons up the front.  I had arrived. Rommel red gloss was sinishing touch. The rest of the drive would be a breeze.

I passed Manning Park. The smoke in the air was harsh. The fire just beyond Eastgate was roaring on the mountain. I took a picture from Sunday Summit.  I could see the flames devouring the forest. 











At the Princeton gas station I asked about the fires. So many cars and trailers had been passing me towards the coast I wondered about and exodus.  The attendant said the road north to Merritt had been closed and fires had started by Osooyoos.  I decided to go where I had hoped to find a wilderness camp. As I drove north into the interior I was happy to see no signs of evacuation.  I tried listening to CBC the national radio station that claimed to be local but there was no news and programs playing were from Toronto. 
When I arrived at the campground the ‘site operator’ was there.  I remembered her from previous years as she remembered me.  I doubt she sees many men in skirts out in the wilderness.  
“Site 10 is open and would be perfect for your rig,’ she said.  I paid the Senior rate $7.50 a night.  Then I almost crashed the camper accepting help from a European camper who was tenting with his wife and children in the site next to me. Fortunately he did alert me to the overhanging trees but as I did dent the steps on the metal campfire grill.  
“I tried to warn you,” he said.
“It’s okay, I’m just so glad to have made it.  I’d also taken out some bushes with the scything action of the Vespa carrier on the front of the truck.  It’s like coming into port. I’m always frazzled and it’s that last little rush of activity when actions can happen. Less than might have.  I was thankful.


Now I just set up.  I had to reposition the truck and camper after the help left because it wasn’t level ground.  But with jacks up anf the Vespa off the rack and the dinghy out of he back seat I was there.  I fixed the table and the fan.  After i set up the dinghy I realized I’d forgotten a life jacket. I had the Vespa with Madigan on back. We drove the next day to Princeton and back. It was a great winding highway but the air was bad with smoke.  Still a great ride in the country and I returned with a life jacket.

Each day I was up at 630 am.  No one was up but Madigan and I.  An early morning bikini swim. Otherwise topless.  I’d planned to skinny dip at night but never made it.  I reminisced about youth and good times camping.  In  t shirts and skirts I wrote and then I read summer novels.  

Each day I took the dinghy out with the electric motor.  The first two days I didn’t even bring the fishing rod. It was Madigan’s first boat ride.  He loved it. I had to discourage him from walking about on the top of the tubes. “Inside the boat, Madigan!”  He finally understood. He even settled down enough that I’d be able to take the fishing rod and troll a couple turns of the lake a couple of days.  I don’t have the patience for fishing I had when I was younger.  
I did enjoy reading in the lawn chairs a whole lot. I was camping right on the lake.  The neighbours were at a distance and one had their rig turned away from mine so I never saw them and the father tenting with his daughter were either fishing or off in their car with their dog.  No one bothered me.  I read and swam several time each day and went out in the dinghy daily. I had to charge the boat battery for an hour a day and charged the camper batteries and electronics at the same time.  I had a satellite phone and left a message with friends where I was.  
.
A deer visitted us in our campground. Madigan was fascinated.  








I drove the Vespa with Madigan into the hills one day, enjoying being back country on logging roads.  I’d been up this way shooting grouse in previous years. This time I didn’t bring a rifle , just the camera.





Camping, meals are a big deal.  My last barbecue had rusted out and I replaced it with a new Weber stainless steel one that worked wonders. 


 I also loved making coffee and tea I drank writing and reading.  Carla A  Richards, Sleep when You’re Dead, was the summer find, a brilliant sci fi murder suspense mystery set in Vancouver.  I love writing and journaling and taking pictures. Every day it was walking in the woods with Gilbert going for swims, writing and relaxing.  It was a glimpse of what retirement could be, writing, reading, being in the outdoors. I don’t want to retire yet. I do enjoy my work especially after a much needed break. But I dream of driving my camper on a trip for 3 months just travelling in North America with Madigan writing and wandering.  I’d like to take a sabatical and return to work but this mini break will keep me going for another while.

Finally rain cleared the air.  I packed up the day before I left and had a lovely drive home.  I left at 7 am and was back in the city at 3 pm , having dropped off camper and delivered dinghy to storage locker and unpacked. It’s a half day to a work day to getaway and the same to come back.  I imagine I’ll enjoy going to a luxury hotel one day soon as a contrast to the wilderness outdoor experience. I imagine a trip to Seattle is in order when the borders opens.  It’s good for an overnight or two day visit.  I think most people have those shopping trips but few can know the joy of being in the deep back woods off the grid wilderness camping with all the luxury of home.  Given when i was young at did the back pack and canoeing and snowshoeing and motorcycle wilderness camping time I’m enjoying have this camper luxury and the wilderness.  





Thank you God for such a wonderful vacation.  








No comments: