Sunday, August 8, 2021

Commercial Drive. Alive on the Drive

I’ve finally made it to Commercial Drive again.  It’s always a joy. It’s my favourite place in Vancouver to people watch. The whole smorgasboard of characters walks by. I’m at Fet kitchen waiting for a Benny.  Madigan is tie to the chair and not at all pleased with restriction.

We came from church, Lighthouse of Hope in New Westminster.  We’d aimed for the St Bartholomew Church Service at 10 but weren’t ready to go till 11.00.  The in person services were returning after Covid. I really wanted to make church. It was the ‘event’ of the day.  We did it too.  

Lighthouse of Hope is a really inclusive community church. They accepted Madigan and me.Metta was a lovely greeter. The church was having it’s first in person service.  Madigan was at his first church service. He was unwashed. A total barbarian. All He wanted was to play with me. Even Jumped up on my lap. I’d brought a chew but he was just full of beans.  Possessed, in church parlance. The virtual bit was a problem with the feed freezing like my video does when the satellite doesn’t have enough band.  Then the acoustics on the the sermon was problematic.  Despite putting in my hearing aids the masks made some of this garbled. I loved the message though. Reminded me of the problems UBC had with it’s virtual seminars at first.  

The good news was the slides were excellent. I enjoyed the choice of scripture and the 10 minute breaks when Madigan napped and I could pay closer attention. There was a break at 1. I’m not certain it was over but I chose that moment to escape with the Beast.  I’ve diagnosed his condition Disruptive Puppy Syndrome.  It was good to be at church.  Good to pray with other Christians. Thank you Lighthouse of Hope

Now I’m on Commercial. Fets Whiskey Kitchen. There’s stalls with plexiglass dividers for individual and group dining on the street where parking was.  There’s a smorgaboard of eye food walking by.  Some eye candy, some main course. Commercial is the best people watching in Vancouver.  Every shape size colour age and type is represented.

 I ordered bacon bennies and gave the bacon to Madigan.  He’s energized by all the people and excitement. He even barked at me to give him more bacon.  The lovely young waitress gave him water. He had a long drink then tipped the bowl.. It’s plastic and I know he’d like to chew it.  He’s tied to the chair and can’t reach and destroy.

The cappucino’s are excellent. The peach cobbler and ice cream arrived and is delicious.   The sun is playing peek a boo.  A cool breeze then a blast of heat. 

I’m so thankful for Commercial.  So many fond memories.  I always think of George and Suzanne when I’m here.  I remember holding hands and reciting ‘God I offer myself to Thee….’
Guess who got all the bacon?







No comments: