Sunday, August 23, 2009

Salt Spring Island 17th Annual AA Rally - The Ferry





Packing for a weekend of camping is itself exciting. The motorcycle camping gear when not in use has lived in the dining room beside the fishing gear and winter snow shoes . If I take it to the storage locker I'll only have to get it out again. This trip we don't need the cooking gear since meals are provided. Instead, I am taking the Washburn Rover Guitar. Brian picked up the ten man tent and all my camp chairs Thursday night. He's coming over Friday night in his Pathfinder with Bill. I've got Road Trip and Camping fever. Laura gets it too after I pry her fingers from her beloved bath.
We carry the gear to the basement and load up the Harley.We're away. The trip to Twassessen is a rush. Getting out of town mid day beats all the traffic. The Deas Tunnel is another level of separation from Vancouver and work reality. Then it's the ferry itself. Laura loves seeing Mayne Island and I take her picture as we pass the lighthouse. Active Pass brings back memories of all the passages I've made day and night in all seasons in my 40 foot sailboat. Crossing water is aways symbolic of a spiritual journey.
The sky is clear. The sea breeze is sweet. The sunshine is glorious. Having hot dogs and coca cola on the ferry we meet Joe. He's headed for the rally too. The gathering is beginning.

No comments: