Friday, March 17, 2023

St. Patrick’s Day

I’ve arisen today and recited St. Patrick’s Breastplate Prayer. It was wonderful to go to the Fay land of Ireland, hear traditional music of Galway, see the Guildhall of Derry and wander through the graveyards with all the glorious Celtic Cross’s.  
I found my grandfather’s grave on my mother’s side and met a man who knew my geologist grand uncle well.  Such a wonderful time with Laura. We swore we’d return.  So much to see in a little island.  
I regret I didn’t appreciate matters of heritage and religion earlier in my life. My mother celebrated her Irish roots , herself born in Canada but both parents immigrants.  It was a joy to visit the Belfast of Van Morison and hear his songs of places reverberate there.  Drapersville near where my Grandfather was born and my brother had been was so picturesque.  
Since being there St. Patrick’s Day will never be the same. Once a parade day, Plastic Paddyness, was  like the Easter bunny parade, but now it’s all become like Easter of Jesus and a celebration of the ancient Celt.   The spirituality and creativity of the place touched my soul.

I arise today 
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity.
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through Confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of Creation.

This morning I awoke to pictures shared by Tanya and Andrew of the great nephews in their Green matching Paddy PJ’s, Great looking little guys.  So proud of their parents.









No comments: