Friday, March 17, 2023

First warm and sunny day

‘It’s 13 degrees outside at 5 pm, ‘ she said with astonishment and delight.  
‘I’m going outside then to get some fresh air while the sun is still out.” I answered.
Madigan remained with her, his mommy, his goddess.  She comes and goes .  I remain.  He knows I’ll come back but she might disappear if he isn’t vigilant.  She was seated on the lazy boy with her legs out before her. He was cuddled in at her side. I’d been seated up with my legs across the middle lazy boy and back against pillows. We were both reading.  I was going from a tale of Rome by William Havelock to social media.   Intermittently I’d comment or she would.
I’d shown her the picture of the great nephews Tanya shared.
“they have matching St. Patrick day pyjamas”. I said
‘Too cute” she responded leaning over to see the ipad I was thrusting at her.
A while passed as I read more of shield walls in the fight between Rome and Persia.  Back to the social media.
“I like how your daughter has put the roast on top of the vegetables. Then she shows she separated the roast after a while and cooked it in tin foil while stewing the veggies. “
‘That is a good idea,” she shared looking up from pictures of her grand children on her iPhone.  

For a while we talked of our trip to Ireland.  
“I really loved being there,”. I said,
“The Irish nurse I work with says it’s not as big a big a deal as it is in the US. ‘
“I read a piece where an Irish writer criticized the US St. Paddy Day for it’s ‘plastic paddy’ influence, the green beer and drunkenness. It’s a spiritual time,’ 
‘That’s what she says too, “ she responded.
“Here’s a lovely picture of my colleague celebrating St. Patrick’s day.,  She looks great. She lived and worked in Ireland before coming here.” 
‘She really is beautiful,” Laura said again leaning over to see the ipad image I was reaching over to her.

My arm shakes when I extend it holding something. The traumatic arthritis catching up to me. I can adapt to the limitations but I shame sometimes gets to me. I was getting out of the car stiffly when we took the little guy out to the dog park talking of getting a bigger car which would be easier to get in and out of.  
‘I liked it best when we were younger and nothing was sore,’

Madigan met a beautiful blond spaniel at the park
“There’s your Nicole Kidman, “ Laura said to him as he began to follow her about brain adddled, 

We went to two off leash dog parks. The first was the Hume Dog Park.  A couple were talking about how the isolation and lockdowns had affected the socialization of their kids and the dogs. 
“My guys more anxious ,” I shared with the mother of the retriever.  

Later Laura told me that a woman had told her that they’d had to be masked and gloved to drop off their dogs at the doggie day care with ‘no touching’ throughout covid.  

“That’s just silliness, “ I said. “But I love the imaged”

I made a chilli last night and when she arrived and I’d hung up her coat and let Madigan bounce all about her I’d asked if she wanted a bowl for lunch.

“Sure , ‘ She said.

I used to make lots of chilli, and curries and stews when I’d shot a a deer or moose but the last few years I’d only used the crock pot a few times.  I like my own spicing and cooking.  

“You can’t get any stew as good as this at a restaurant,” she said,

I know I liked this girl for her looks. She’s still stunning and alway will be but the intelligence is brimming over.  Love my dog, love my cooking.  Smart girl. Not just good looking.  

“You know I just feel lonely at times. When you’re here I feel calmer more content.”

“I feel lonely too, you know.  I loved when you visitted me last weekend.  “

I’ve put out the pork loins and have taken the rice maker out of the cupboard.  It’s especially nice to have someone to share meals with.  Madigan is good company but Madigan and Laura are especially so, 














No comments: