Thursday, October 24, 2013

Today is the first and last day of my life

Brother Lawrence taught "practicing the presence of God'.  A Chilliwack military man told me 16 years ago when I stopped drinking and shared at men's meeting, "Bill, you've got one foot in the future and one foot in the past. You're pissing and shitting on your day. Get your head in the same room as your ass is."
I heard a spiritual speaker from the Hazelton Treatment Center, a clergy man, say that "we notice when people begin their recovery they are 80 % in the past and future, only about 20% in the present.  After a while they are 60% in the present with 20% in the past and future."
Today I've showered, dressed and driven to work.  I made the mistake of listening to CBC Currents instead of inspirational music.  I arrived at work thinking about ancient history in Canada, the scandals and negativity and fear mongering of Currents and forgot to see that this is a beautiful October morning.  The colours are magnificent.
I'm alive and well with a great dog and living in the greatest country in the world. I'll begin my day over again and hopefully do my best in my work today remember, Just for Today and that Today is all I really know I have. This moment I am with God. The present is called the present because it is a gift.

No comments: