Sunday, July 14, 2013

Joe's Cafe, Commercial Street

Gilbert woke me early this morning. The Taliban could attack in the night and he might sleep through that. But if a Chihuahua come near I will be alerted.
This made it easier to make it to church.
St. James Angican welcomes both me and Gilbert. Rev. Williams gave the sermon on the readings from Amos, the letter of Paul to the Collossians and Luke 10.
I love Luke 10. This is where Jesus is asked by the lawyer "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Aske by Jesus what the law says he responds, "You shall love The Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself." Jesus said this was the "right answer". The lawyer then asked who is my neighbour? Jesus the told the parable of the Good Samaritan, then asked the lawyer which of the three was a neighbour? "The one who showed him mercy,"answered the lawyer. Jesus said to him,Go and do likewise."
I liked that a neighbour is one who shows mercy.
I liked that I could help another to the alter. The women who normally sit near me were both volunteering, one filming the sermon and the other assisting with communion. I like this about church, a community of volunteers with limitted professional servant leadership. It's sad that intellectuals like Darwin didn't appreciate his Christian wife's service.He was like that other intellectual Marx who was supported financially by the Jews before writing an aetheistic political treatise that lead to the greatest pogroms of all times.
It's another glorious hot sunny summer day in Vancouver. I've enjoyed a cappuccino and cheese and salami sandwich at Joe's. Gilbert loved our earlier walk up and down the "Drive".


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: