Monday, May 15, 2023

Black Tusk

After a glorious hot day reading and walking the dog, bacon and egg’s mother’s day breakfast and barbecued bison steaks and Caesar salad we were together in bed with all the windows with bug screens on open and longing for more evening breeze. Laura was hot and moaning a bit, saying ‘it’s so hot . I think there’s a mosquito about too.”  She’s convinced she attracts them but while one might have got in there was no tear in the mosquito netting .  I read a bit then fell asleep to pleasant dreams of friends and gatherings
This morning the mountain air was touched with the scent of mountain flowers, a gentle fragrance in the midst of pine and spruce. I walked Madigan about the camp enjoying the bright sun rising above the ring of snow capped mountains.  Black Tusk was resplendent.  A memorable landmark indeed.  
I saw a stellar jay and a Jack rabbit.
A lot of the RV’s have quad’s , mostly Polaris, and ski doo’s so we guess this place must be all year round for some. There’s a ski doo trail leaving off the end of the park Madigan and I walked on for a bit.  I was uncomfortable in flip flop sandals  without a rifle, bear banger or even a knife in grizzly country.  The little dog was a bit spooked too so we didn’t walk  far.  I remember when I graduated medical school and went hiking in the Rockies, two couples, wineskins and maybe a knife. We were intrepid then.  I knew black bears but didn’t know grizzlies and I ‘d only start being chased by polar bears in the years to come. What wonderful memories of daily hikes up and down the mountains around Banff.  
It was 630 am and others were already up today .  A couple of camper vans were loading up to leave even . Early start. I imagined them travelling.  We were only heading home where I was keeping the camper in the city till we headed out for the May long weekend this Friday.  
I’m having coffee now. Laura is up.  Madigan is napping under the table. 
This weekend I read McCall Smith’s , the No 1 Lady Detective Agency .  What a delightful read!  I’m sure I’ve read others in the series.  He is such a prolific writer and uplifting story teller.  I ordered a couple of more of his books off Kindle, from his Scottish series, “74 Street Edinburgh’.  I started Glenn’s War on the Kokoda Trail.  It’s the tale of the Australian defense against the Japanese at  Port Moresby in New Guinea.  Great reads.  
I got a bit red reading on the lawn chair.  Loving the vitamin d and sun tan happening.  Thinking about an air conditioning unit in this camper for when I go south.  I remember living in Mexico the summer was unbearable.  I’ll have to talk to the guys about the possible project.  
My life has been an endless series of improvements to whatever I have.  Hardwood floors in houses, added decks, new roofs,  off shore boat, RV accessories.  Right now I’m booked to have saddle bags and engine guard put on the new Harley Nightster Special. I’m looking at hitch carriers so I can take it with me.  This weekend I’d have gladly had the Honda 420 Rancher quad but that’s next week’s plan.  Good life right now. Feel it’s the reward and blessing for all the work and continued service during covid and lockdowns.  
Laura’s enjoying the rest and breaks from her medical office job too. Madigan is a dog so this is just perfect for him.
Thank you Jesus for all these blessings.  Thank you for the mountain air, the peace and quiet, the beautiful views, the lovely company and great coffee.  













No comments: