Sunday, May 7, 2023

Forest dreams

I woke twice from sleep last night. Somewhere around 4 am I woke from a dream in which I was in Fort Garry on the recess ground of Viscount Alexander. I was a 30 years younger.  We were talking and walking and looking up we saw sleek long war planes in groups of three, thin, barracuda shaped.  I had my old Nikon and was about to take a picture when Marion tried to stop me. The planes passed but a warthog type army machine passed in front of our group. I took a picture of them and they stopped so I walked over and showed them my camera offering the SIM card. « Nice camera, » the fellow said and took it.  I was naive and we’d all been supportive but this camera incident seemed to undermine my patriotism. 

Later I’d come across an older man saying a younger woman was having trouble orgasming and he was trying to help her.  She was rubbing her clitoris furiously and he was there offering assistance.  I was passing by and wondered what this dream had to to with the futuristic war planes and war machines.  It’s all metaphor.

I always thought Marion was sophisticated, early as a mother, learned to protect her children  and foliage.  I was always idealistic, a dreamer, a poet, an adventurer, healer, explorer. I didn’t relate well to those men who needed to win, who wanted to be number one and would cheat or kill for that.  I liked a good game but didn’t lust for dominance.  Like most people I was happy enough.  I remember the crowd of us looking up at the barracuda air machines.  We were like that vast playground and playmates. I was often fighting mostly defensive. We were boys then.  The old men were competing for world dominion.  Paranoid I suppose.

I imagined my war machines were for off world war. I’d read Foundation by Isaac Asimov as a young man and recently begun watching the series on Prime tv. I was reading sci fi book of men fighting in the future, a group of men called the ‘dog’.  Not a very good book, I’m skimming.  I liked the discussions of healing medicine and futuristic care in found in the Jungle in the book but the fighting and killing is terribly repetitive. The science fi is the romance with man and EI and new baby being born for some future superhuman cyborg race.  I finished the history of Iran and the war themes and dominance and fighting dominated .  The Irag Iran war of Iman Khomeini and Sadda Hussein was interesting as I’d forgotten that and now must wonder about the failure of Saddam Hussein in that war and his later defeat by the Americans.  One could think the CIA had put him up to that for the Iranian oil which the British and the Americans were into .  Around the same time Iran nationalized it’s oil fields from Britain, Pierre Trudeau, the communist, was nationalized the Canadian Oil Fields from the province of Alberta and giving the profits to Quebec which was hoarding it’s own hydro electric power and selling it for profit to the US.  The media story was always what seemed like a fairy tale version for the low brow. The reality was far more complex.  

Meanwhile I’m in heaven. This forest is like the old forest of Vancouver Island, the forest that Emily Carr made famous with her painting. The northern rain forest with moss and fungus and ancient plants and evergreens.  It’s been raining while we’ve been here.  Drizzling or spitting. No sun. I made a fire yesterday.  Madigan wasn’t whining for Laura last night so we had a good sleep. I was up at 4 am for the dream but then fell back to sleep.  I remember enjoying feeling a stiff morning hard on and thinking the apparatus is still functional but then Laura was asleep .  

I prayed instead. Our father prayers.  Thy will be done prayers.   Morning prayers and falling back asleep to luscious dreams.  Madigan began windging and whining at 7 am our normal wakening time. I’m now on my first coffee and will have to walk up to see if I can get another day her at Alice Lake Provincial Campground.  Though there are empty sites, reservations aren’t available, only day by day for this spot.  I had an idea of swimming thinking the cold water would be good for my aging body, invigorating, but without the sun I’ve been loathe to get in the lake and swim. Walking Madigan often and throwing the ball is all I can manage. I’ve barbecued at night and Laura has made sandwiches in the day.  We’ve read.  It’s been truly relaxing. No tv. No calls. No wifi.  A smidgeon. We get messages but can’t phone out or load pages but we get a little bit of the outside world .There seems a ‘bit’ of wifi and a ‘bit’ of cell service at times . I ordered a booster for wifi and for longer trips this summmer will take my Starlink.  The Starlink Satelite wouldn’t work here because there’s too much foliage ‘obstacle’.   It will take some choosing of the space setting up to get it right.  I like the challenge looking forward to adding the wings lift to carry the motorcycle or towing the quad. I’d meant to bring the folding electric bike but if I’d remembered I’d not have had the long walks with Madigan.  I need to lose weight and I’m out of shape.  This whole camping thing so far has been terrific for that with so much movement compared to my being at my desk at home and watching tv at night. I walk the dog and swim but this outdoor thing is not pavement and there’s just a lot of moving and lifting and pulling.  Healthy.

Oh well another coffee and I’ll get back to reading.  If we can stay I’ll make another fire and use up the wood i have today.  It’s actually supposed to be sunny so a swim may yet happen. 












No comments: