Friday, May 5, 2023

Alice Lake Campground

Thanks to Kevin (adventurerrvcenter@yahoo.ca), Thaun Vo of Rand and Fowler Insurance, Kelvin  at Travco RV and Merry Maids of Burnaby, my Adventurer Truck Camper is back. Two years ago I hit a boulder on the West Harrison road causing structural damage that Kevin restored to new. Kevin rescued us after a year of gaslighting by the dealer.  Despite working in jails I still am not immune to sociopaths.  Thank God for Kevin and Thaun, men of character, honest business men.  Once they were involved everything went smoothly.  
Kelvin from Travco fixed my pipes and furnace last year and was kind enough to come by and fix the drawers and windows in my camper .  Finally Merry Maids detailed the whole inside delighting Laura when she arrived for our inaugural camping weekend.  “It’’s better than new, “ she said.  
We didn’t know exactly when we’d be able to leave till this week so didn’t have reservations. Since Covid ,campsites are premium. When we picked up the camper last week in Chilliwack at AdventurerRV Centre, we took it back to the city, where Merry Maids had at her.  
Each day Laura and I texted each other, ‘just three more days’. “ Just two more days.”  “Just one.”  Madigan was ecstatic to see Laura at our door 9 am  this morning   I’d loaded the truck and we just had to  head out.  I was sorry to leave my new HD Nightster Motorcycle. I have yet to test the truck hitch carrier with the new motorcycle. We have the quad in the country on a trailer for another trip. This weekend was just for enjoying the return of the camper. And we are.
“I want to go north to Pemberton.” I told Laura this morning.”  I’ve not been on the sea to sky since before Covid,” It was raining and ugly but the view of the sea was still spectacular.  Passing Porteau Cove I remembered all the wreck scuba diving I enjoyed there.  Then we were passing Britannica Beach where the mine is. “We stopped here a whole lot for best burgers and fries,” Laura said.  Then we were at Squamish.   
“I’ve loved riding the motorcycle here and stopping for coffee at Starbucks.” I said. 
“That was so much fun, “ she agreed.  
Then we saw the sign for Alice Lake Campground.  “We can try,” I said.
“We don’t have reservations. Any spots available.” I asked the young man at the booth. 
 “You’re in luck. I have one”. He said. “I think too you might be a senior so are entitled to a discount.’  (I don’t think I look old but I’ll identify as old if it means saving money.) 
Now we’re here. We even have electricity. I was glad to have filled the water tank before we left.  In the past we’ve gone three days easily.  We’re really quite spoiled.
The provincial park site is terrific. A large private lot with wide spaces between campsites.  What a marvellous provincial campground.  He  warned us about bears and not leaving out food.  Dogs have to be on a leash but we just love the fresh air, the quiet and that the rain stopped once we stopped.  

This is bliss.  Laura has made Black Forest ham sandwiches with the fresh lite rye bread.   I made stove top expresso and am  comfortable now  writing a blog entry before my plan to walk Madigan around the neighbourhood.  There are mosquitos but they’re staying outside the screen door.  Laura having chucked the paper plates has settled down with a magazine.  

“We don’t have wife or cell service,” she said.  “It’s the first time in forever I’ve been so disconnected.’
“I know. I forgot my satellite phone but rather like that I’m disconnected.  The world can get by without us for a day or two.  I’m beginning to feel so relaxed,” I said.  
Madigan meanwhile is still a Duracell bunny as the humans are really settling into this camping life.  

‘I may have to make another coffee.’ I thought «  Maybe a walk first. »

My cellphone rang to our surprise.  Kevin and Anna and the kids were driving by on the highway on their way to camping in Pemberton.   Great talking with them and hearing about our mutual friends  Elizabeth and Phil in Newfoundland.    We may follow them up to Pemberton tomorrow as we’ve only this site overnight. This can only be booked 1 day at a time and the rest of the campground is full.  The air here is glorious.  












 

No comments: