Monday, May 22, 2023

The Cafe

She’d seen men killed before. She didn’t like it.  The waste.  She couldn’t believe God went to all the effort of creation to have it knocked off so suddenly like that. It happened in Nature though. All manner of things lived and died. So why should man be different.  The Bible said thou shalt not murder.  It wasn’t murder if the men involved were just too stupid to take warning.  Some did that. Pride and stupidity.  She had thought that of the Hodgkin  Brothers.  Not too bright but thinking themselves so clever.  The young man was different.

He’d stepped away from the horses not wanting them to be involved. He’d then finished the business almost casually.  She watched him.  So fast but sure and his face had not shown anything but necessity. He’d clearly not wanted to be involved either but his first thought was for the horses.

Then he was tying his own horse outside the cafe and she felt her cheeks grow red.  

“The sheriff told me this was the best place to get a meal.” He said.  

“I’m glad he did,” she replied.  He sat at a table with his back to the wall watching the door way as she stood next to him taking his order.

“I’d like coffee and steak and eggs easy over, if that’s available. Maybe some buns too. I like milk in the coffee if you have that.”

“I do. It will just be a few minutes to make up. “. 

He watched her return to the kitchen, her yellow dress complimenting her blond hair.  She had white shoes.  He couldn’t remember if he’d seen white shoes like that. Most of the shoes ladies wore to church were dark. Otherwise they wore laced boots or cowboy boots like the men.  It’s was whiteness of the shoes that caught his attention or her attractive calves that became visible as she walked.  He had thought her very attractive when he walked in and she’d smiled.  Her voice had been lyrical as well and he liked how her blue eyes engaged his.  It had all happened so quickly like a gun fight but this was the opposite. This was something he definitely wanted.  

He mused about normal life and what it would be like when he finished this business about his brother.  He only knew the name of his brother’s killer and wondered if these men he’d fought might be part of the gang who’d killed his brother.  It had taken his brother 2 whole days to die in pain and anguish. During that time he’d said, “It was Pan. That’s what the other men called him.  He was short, bow legged wth black hair and beard.  He had a scar on his forehead.  Maybe a knife.”  The doctor had given him morphine for the pain so he was in and out of consciousness, wanting to be present and to talk but all to quickly experiencing so much pain he cried for the morphine.  It was a terrible death. His brother was a good man. The best.  This Pan fellow was just a murderer.  

She brought the coffee first and a while later the plate of steak and eggs with buns.  He prayed his thanks before he ate.  It was wholesome and delicious.  

She came back to freshen his coffee and enjoyed watching him eat with such joy.

“This is delicious, ma’am, I’ve been on the ride for days but even if I not been  I’d say this is one of the best meals I’ve had . The buns are perfect. Everything is .”  

She beamed at his praise and he enjoyed her shy smile.  She left him to finish eating returning only to refill his coffee.

“I saw you shoot those men,’ she said, awkwardly

“They gave me little choice.” He said.

“I saw, but I also saw how you protected the horses by moving away from them.” 

“I guess I did,’ he smiled, “it wasn’t any fight of theirs. ‘

“May I ask what brings you here. To Hedley?”

“I’m on the trail of the man who killed my brother.  I heard he was with a gang in these parts.  Have you heard of the name Pan.”

“I’ve not but those men you shot, I believe I over heard them mentioned that name. They might know more at the logging camp a few miles north.  It’s an unusual name, that’s why I remember.”  

‘That sounds then like I’m on the right track.  Thank you ma’am?”  He said standing.

She watched him pick up his hat , leaving twice what the meal had cost.   She watched him go out the door.  Tall. Certain.   He untied his horse mounting and headed out of town. 

No comments: