Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Nutcracker, Goh Ballet, Queen Elizabeth Theatre

I did walk on parts for the Winnipeg Ballet fifty years ago,  I’ve seen my share of ballet.  This spring I took Laura to the Royal Ballet Covent Gardens production of Swan Lake in London.  We’ve had annual tickets to Ballet BC but have been missing the classical ballet .  I didn’t realize that Goh Ballet was such a senior company,.  When I first came to Vancouver decades ago they were the leading ballet ‘school’ but frankly this was their first production I attended. 
I do believe this is my all time favourite Nutcracker.  I’ve seen a half dozen or more.  I’ve also been blessed to see and meet Baryshnikov and Karen Cain so I’ve a fairly high standard of appreciation. 
This troupe though excelled in dancing by all means.  The  Guest artists, principal dancers, Ashley Boulder of the New York City Ballet, Stirling Baca of the Philadelphia Ballet, Cecilia’s Iliesiu, of the Pacific Northwest Ballet, First Soloist, Damien Cruz-Garrida and guest artist Adonis Daukaev were all consumate professionals of the highest order.  Their dancing was a joy to behold. 
What captured me most though was the brilliant choreography by Anna- Marie Holmes.  This truly made this my favourite Nutcracker, That and the delightful dancing by the whole cast of young and younger.  Really fine dancing.  I’ve seen a Nutcracker where the children’s dancing was obviously an add on. Not the Goh.  The youngest was dancing and they were appeared as the finest of ensembles.
The set was incredible too.  A regular Hollywood extravaganza more reminiscent of a Broadway Musical like CATS than a Canadian Ballet production.   Decades back  all dance companies were strapped for cash. Bare floors with limited assist was the norm.  Not with this intricate engaging and surprising sets,  Same with the fabulous costumes. Too ingenious
The audience was families and the children were entranced by the magical nature of this production. The standing ovations roared, conductor Leslie Dala joined the troop.  Bouquets of roses appeared and the final curtain fell.  Then all you could hear were the voices of gleeful children, so many of the girls dressed in sparkling gowns, their parents as entertained but not nearly as vocal.  We all left happy.   
Well done Goh ballet!!!  Truly one of Canada’s great ballet production companies. Obviously a magnificent school.  



















No comments: