Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Back in Canada

It’s cold outside but the sun is shining in the morning and when I come home from work. The winter darkness is gone.  I’ve a furnace and heat so it’s cozy inside. I’ve fresh water from a tap that’s clean and drinkable. I have my friends, cat George, and dog, Gilbert with me. My own bed last night was unsurpassed. Sealy Posturpedic Queen.  Heavenly. I’ve a marvellous fridge I’ve stocked with yoghurts I love, ice cream, sandwich meats, milk, cream, Perrier waters, all manner of treats.

The electricity is constant. I can’t remember the last time the power was out.  24 hours a day 7 days a week.  There was that storm where the trees came down on the lines last year but power was restored in hours. I have light at the flick of a switch.  I have all my kitchenware and machines. I have drawers full of tools, a motorcycle and an electric bicycle. I even have a folding boat hung outside and an electric and a 2.5 hp power motor for that.  I’ve still not got the time to enjoy all the things I want to enjoy.  I have this iPad Pro and keyboard.  I’ve got my own home wifi. I have a large colour tv, satellite.  I loved watching new Discovery episodes since I came home and last night’s Canadian series FBI with that gorgeous adorable lead. Then I watched NCIS New Orleans and salivated about the food I ate there when I last visited.

I’m drinking coffee from my expresso machine with Okanagan honey.  I even had some vitamins. I know it’s placebo but it’s a thing I do in winter and can afford it. I’ve done some basic exercises on the floor, thankful my body still is flexible to that extent. 

I’ve been to work. The clinics I work at have the greatest people, colleagues and staff.  I really admire the doctors I work with. It’s been a long time coming to be able to look around and say I really appreciate how caring and educated and conscientious these people are. The staff are the same.  No attitude.  Just all working towards the best for patients. None of the politics of government. None of that Machiavellian shit or the gossip of offices rife with drama.  The staff are just wonderful people. I love it. I feel like I’m offshore in a well honed ship cutting through the seas with fair winds and following seas.  

There’s still the phone calls and the demands and the urgent hyperhysterical calls and demands upon demands and threats but they just don’t seem to get to me. I’ve had a break. I’ve slept. I’ve had a change of pace. The sun is returning and we didn’t have to search out a virgin to sacrifice them. I’ve meditated and prayed for hours of days. I’ve walked and talked and generally had some good exercise and a change of scene. I like my work again. 

I could use a mountain stream and a truck camper and a fly rod. I could use a bunch of cans and some targets lined up out in the woods and a sweet rifle for target practice. I could be riding my Harley with Gilbert on the back down the highway to some rock and roll concert where all us bikers are camping in our pup tents. I could enjoy looking at beautiful women in summer bikinis or leather bodices where no one is offended because everyone is an adult.  There’s also that place where the children are there with their parents and it’s a big community and there’s enough grandparents about to feel the ‘chill’ that experience brings.

I’m looking forward to the spring and summer and fall.  There’s hope in the air.  There’s dreams and opportunities. I’m in Canada and we’re through the worst of the winter.  No one shot and ate the ground hog.  We’re tough. We’re Canadians. We survive. We thrive. We really appreciate the clean that comes after the snow, the renewal, the coming through another nature war, the getting beyond the slipping on ice, the colds and flus to the glory of Canadian, Spring, Summer and Fall. I feel sorry for the LA set with their flat weather and flat lives or the east coasters in the US with their indoor derision. 

 I’m loving being here on the west coast. I love the sea air. I sometimes miss the prairies or southern Ontario.  There’s so many fine places to be here in Canada, in spring, summer and fall.  Three quarters of the year Canada is paradise and the rest of the time there’s skiing, snow mobiling. ice fishing, outdoor skating and hockey or good ole hiberating. I confess getting older I’ve opted more for the latter whereas there was a time when I embraced the winter and enjoyed it more.  Now I’d just like to go away for a bit and come back when the sun’s on the return and crocuses are coming alive.

I’m glad to be back in Canada. Any time away makes me appreciate the land.  Some of the people I could do without, that particularly offensive, superior  deceitful sort, egomaniacs with inferiority complexes, the ones who speak with authority when they have none.  But then there’s all these other homegrown down to earth Canadians, loveable adorable funny fine, happy folk I cherish. I’m blessed to be among them. The majority of Canadians. The vast majority of Canadians especially the westerners, of every colour, creed back ground, just a wonderful mix of humanity enjoying this extraordinary land of mountains, wilderness, lakes and ocean.  

I’m enjoying being back in Canada but I can’t wait to hit the open road and I ‘m so looking forward to camping, wood smoke and barbecues. It’s just around the corner.  

Now I have to shower and dress in clean clothes and drive my sweet little Mini Cooper town car to work with a whole bunch of people who generally obey the laws of the roads and the great police forces that help maintain order and safety for us all to enjoy our day.

Thank you God for this day and for this great country. Thank you for reminding me how much I have to be grateful for.  











No comments: