Saturday, March 2, 2019

2017 ALP Adventurer 86FB Truck Camper

I”m here at Fraserway RV having put the deposit down on a 2017 Adventurer Truck Camper.  It was used as a rental and is now up for sale.

The fact is I destroyed the 2000 Palimino camper I got last year. I needed one as a place to live for a month while I was having home repairs so it certainly served it’s purpose.  Laura, Gilbert and I loved camping in it. Indeed when I was in Africa I just kept thinking about our truck camper experiences outside of Princeton along the river there.  I sold off last year’s camper and this year I’m getting a good one. Even the insurance guy I had look at it said there was nothing he could do because there was so much pre existing damage.  It’s one advantage had been it was cheap. 
It turned out it had had previous leaks and repairs. But really, I made every mistake known to man. I even drove away with the struts down. I realized immediately.  It’s  not a good thing to do. Mack and Dave helped me straighten out the struts after that fiasco.
I also backed into a hanging tree limb.  I’d not wondered what was stopping me from going backwards but never thought to look up.  Erik came buy and fixed that embarrassment.
Something hit the front end too and my gorilla duct tape just didn’t cut it.
I also didn’t line up the camper properly, backing up once and really banged the bottom.
Then there was the time the jacks seized.  Using the mechanical winch I had it twisted all to hell worrying that it was going to topple over.
It was a steep learning curve. I never knew what I’d do wrong.  
Now a fellow who is handy with time on his hands is happily going to rebuild the roof and enjoy it.  What’s one man’s junk is another’s treasure.
I am so thankful that I didn’t have a new one or I could have destroyed that. There’s a lot to be said about starting low.   These truck campers new go from $30000 to $100,000.  
Frazerway Rents these Alp Adventurers then fixes them up like new when they sell them a year or two later. I’m pleased.  It’s my birthday present to myself.  
Laura is ecstatic. I think the Greenwood Motel experience last fall, with the hair in the bed and poop on the towels, finalized her preference for campers. We really do love the camper/trailer experience.  I’m no longer really into tenting.  Laura was off tenting with the grizzly bear warnings at the wilderness campground a couple of years back. I still like to blame her for my no longer liking roughing it.  The fact is Gilbert and I love the luxury and comfort too. Gilbert is such a suck! He lies on the bed with Laura and lets her rub his tummy. If she stops, he hits her with his paw. I like having coffee at the table looking at the rain outside the window.
The trick is getting the indoor shower and vanity.  There’s cheaper and lesser models without the shower but I really like the shower.  
This Adventurer is perfect. I’d emailed Ray Konynenbelt what I was looking for and he got back to me with several options. The 2017 ALP Adventurer 86FB turned out to be the ticket.
Now I’m here just waiting to deal with the paper work and financing. We’re hoping to be camping next weekend when it will be ready to pick up.  I love the Canadian outdoors.  









No comments: