Saturday, March 9, 2019

Harrison Lake and RV Camping

We are so blessed to have these healing springs and this glorious lake and tourist town so close to Vancouver.  I love coming in the spring when it’s not as busy as the summer rush hour. Here and now it’s only for the intrepid with ice still on the lake.  It’s so beautiful though. The snow capped mountain crags are magestic.

Waking in the 2017 Alp Adventurer truck camper I was looking out at hemlock, blue sky and magnificent mountains. I took Gilbert for a walk along the beach early morning thinking of all the times before I’d come that way.  Three dogs have been walked here, Shinto, Stuart and Gilbert. I brought my parents out here in the 80’s for a weekend in the cabins of the Harrison Hot Spring Resort.  I”ve hiked in the region, brought canoes and motorboats. We’ve stayed in so many of the hotels, favouring the Bungalow Cabins, Harrison Hot Springs Resort, Ramada/Executive, and the Beach Hotel.  We’ve swum in the lake , off road motorcycled, quadded  and camped all around the western and northern shore where I used to hunt.  The wilderness hot springs in the back woods were great hikes when we were younger.

Now I”m so enjoying RV Life.  I had a marvellous soak in the public pool where people always seem a little weird.  Today a lady was wearing sandals and I thought, “I hope she showered.”  Then another girl had a ginger ale by the pool side despite countless signs saying no drinks.  The kids and old people are always cute seeming to merge in mood and appearance. I’m observing not judging because I was rather pleased to get the senior rate. 

Back at the Adventurer camper Laura was reading her iPad. She’s become an Amazon junkie, loving to read selections before buying a book. I’m reading a book I should have read a selection on.  Good action scenes but the characters seem written by a shallow young man who likes to drink.  A bit like a millennial hipster version of Sean Connery in James Bond.  Coming off more like Mr. Bean despite the accurate discussion of weapons, possibly from Wikipedia.  Still I’m speed reading through knowing it’s not everyday I’m blessed with a great novel.  I’ve enjoyed some westerns I’ve read this last week. It’s not like I’m seeking intellectual stimulation. RV reading isn’t much higher up from Beach reading.

I made us bacon sandwiches with maple bacon and fresh buns. Suzy’s, the ultimate bacon and egg sandwich cafe , was closed for renovation.  We’re roughing it here.   I had to turn on the RV propane stove and get out the frying pan. Of course despite having the fan on I set off the smoke detector alarm. I finished getting  the bacon crisp like Laura likes it with the windows and door open.  The sandwiches were delicious.  Almost as good as Suzy’s.  I made more Millena Expresso coffee with cream and honey.  Decadent.  We read for a bit more after that.  My main concern is how to make this seat feel like a couch. I’m experimenting with a pile of pillows.  

Now Laura and I have returned from a late afternoon walk with Gilbert. He loves RV camping.  2 long dog walks today. 

Oh yes, I failed to mention, this morning he met a young little dog with a whole bunch of attitude growling at him and trying to hump him despite being smaller than Gilbert who was quite nonplussed by all the pugilistic behaviour. It became rapidly evident that the poor little dog was out of his league.   I was so proud of Gilbert. Blind and old, he didn’t even bother engaging in militaristic display.  Rather he lifted his leg and pissed on the dog. He did it twice. At first I thought he was blind and hadn’t intended to pee on his adversary but the second time I figured it was intentional. It had it’s effect with the little aggressive dog quite stymied before running off to catch up with his owner. Dogs are supposed to be on leash anyway.  I remember  Stuart who would piss on the shoes of any guy who raised his voice at me as if to remind him that if he bothered me he had Stuart, the Scotty, to contend with too.

Now Laura on this walk has let Gilbert pee on everything.  She’s much more patient and lets him sniff to his heart’s content.  He sniffed everything.I didn’t mind enjoying the view of the lake and watching the ambulance come to rescue a woman and child who apparently had tried to walk on the ice. They fell through but didn’t get a Darwin Award because they rapidly got out and the ambulance arrived with blankets.  I don’t know why people stay home and watch tv when outside there’s so much sitcom material.  

Now we’re back at the RV. Gilbert has drunk a whole bowl of water and gone to sleep.  I’ve tried out the sewer hose and emptied the black and grey water tanks because I can. Laura has downloaded another novel and is reading. I’m blogging.  Life is good.  The sun is setting and I’m going to have fry up the steaks because I don’t have a little propane tank for the barbecue.  I just have to remind myself we’re roughing it.  Fried steak instead of barbecue. I’ll have to wash the frying pan before I can use it for the steaks too. I don’t know how much of this stress I can take.







































No comments: