Saturday, March 16, 2019

Harrison Lake Adventure Truck Camper Saturday Morning

Yesterday, I got the electric bicycle onto the front carrier of the truck.  No small task, finding bungee cords, keys, locks. Eric, from Starfleet RV Repairs, had finished the improvements to the camper, second battery, tv mount, level indicators, new Venetian blind, coat hook.  Special little treats that personalized the already fabulous Alp Adventurer Camper.
 Laura arrived in her red Smart Car, pulling her overnight bag like a beautiful stewardess in Birkenstock’s and jeans.  Gilbert was beside himself with doggy glee to greet her.  I remembered to winch up the stabilizing struts of the camper with the remote.  Almost makes it feel like I’m preparing for a space ship take off. Next year. I’m in the space cadet program. My camper and truck a proto flitter. Gilbert my Chewy buddy and Laura, my Barbarella are with me.  We depart.    
At Fraserway RV we picked up our new mattress. Sounds like an easy thing.  Nope.  Lots of grunting and pulling to get the old 6 inch mattress out. Then with the help of a darling warehouse girl and handsome strong young man we all shoved the new 9 inch mattress into the camper catching the factory plastic on every door handle. Laura was not pleased with the extra ‘3 inches’.
“I had trouble getting up on the bed before. Now it’s three inches more. I don’t know how I’m going to do it.”  I witnessed a very creative struggling crawling pulling bed mount by Laura later.  To be honest, it was harder for me to mount the bed despite legs 3 or 4 x the length of Laura’s.  But the bed is still heavenly.  “I love bed!”  I opined. So comfortable.  
I arranged storage in Chilliwack with John. His son was there too. The two of them are such fine men my faith in the future is restored.  Good people. Caring and helpful.  John at Chilliwack RV Storage has helped me, above and beyond, so often over the last couple of decades I’ve stored an RV or camper there. His son last year was the muscle and genius behind my getting my KTM 690 motorcycle stored safely on a rack behind the old Camper.  We have the key to the gate for the return, our return when we drop off the camper. 
At Superstore Chilliwack where the weekend crowd was competing with Walmart for best dressed awards I got the steaks for the weekend. I’ve the little propane bottles for the barbecue this weekend.  We missed the Agassiz turn off so drove up to Hope only to find too much snow and the RV campground we like there closed still.  Back to Harrison, A little sight seeing along the way. The mountains around Hope were beautiful.  We saw a water fall frozen on the side of rock, a great fluffy snowy product of a white witch’s wand.  Lovely sunset as we passed through the truly pleasant and welcoming town of Agassiz, one of my favourite places next to Rosedale. 
Sure enough Glencoe RV park in downtown Harrison had our spot from last week free and waiting.  “Gilbert will recognize this.”  Laura said. I thought given the poor little guy is blind, it really is a good thing that I balance my own drive to explore new territory with his appreciation for the similiar.
This week there are several other RV’s here. Bookings are coming in for the rest of the month though. In summer this place is booked months in advance and the whole of the town is overflowing with tourists.  
I took Gilbert for a walk leaving Laura cursing, grunting, sputtering in a fight to the death with the new mattress and the sheets.  After Gilbert had reacquainted himself and marked his territory we returned to find that Laura had indeed vanquished the mattress.  She’s was not impressed when I said,”You won’t have to go to the gym this week.”  She’s not her normal self on Friday night. A week of patients demanding and angry at the waitlists and delays steals her normal joie de vie.  It’s takes hours of Gilbert, the therapy dog,  working his magic. I made her dinner, roast chicken and potato salad while Gilbert snuggled. Paper plates.   The people at Superstore had roasted the chicken and made the salad but left me all the heavy lifting of spooning and slicing. 
I tried setting up the tv but can’t find a cable plug on the outside wall. I did get DVD and tv working.  I love getting systems up and running.  Heater, refrigerator, shore water, electricity.  I might well be docking with my sailboat, the camper so like a land version of my yacht. 
Climbing into bed I loved the mattress.  So incredibly comfortable. I believe there’s a lot to be said for 9 inches over 6 inches but Laura insists that the 6 inches is easier to handle and leaves her more room. I hope no one heard that conversation . 
Great dreams of childhood adventures with friends.  Waking in this spectacular location, white capped mountains about, blue sky, Gilbert thankful that I lift him up on the bed so Laura can scratch his tummy. I love my indoor flush toilet and the electric fan.  I’m on my second cup of java and hearing the Manhattan Transfer singing in my mind, “I love coffee, I love tea, I love the Java, Java and it loves me.”  I heard them play at the Vancouver PNE and they were terrific. 
I might be coming down with a cold, raspy throat, sinus, but it’s probably the pollen. This is the BC time of hay fever. A Reactine with the coffee. A further reason to rest and do nothing except walk the dog and maybe get on the bicycle for an electric ride.  Life is good.  The winds of mood blow through with the endearing love of fair winds and following seas. This is just that. Some time this afternoon I’m going to ‘take the healing waters’  of Harrison Hotsprings.  I love this roughing it wilderness camping in downtown Harrison’s Lake. 








.  

No comments: