Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Ethiopia - Addis Ababa - Homesick

I dreamed of Gilbert last night. He was blind and playing with several little dogs, having the time of his life. There was a new clinic on Kingsway and the girls had painted everything in bright purple and pinks and radiant greed, bright African colour motif.

I enjoyed talking with a former stewardess last night, telling me of her travels in Ethiopia with her 18 yo son. Standing outside the church waiting for my ride, we were accosted by staggering drunks.  To get away she lead me into her car and asked her driver to wait to my ride arrived. I was thankful for that.  But also I got to say “I saw drunks in Ethiopia.”  I’ve not gone out at night so that’s probably mitigated against my exposure. In Athens I saw men shooting up on the streets like Vancouver. Here, this was my only encounter.  

I realized I’d not had work dreams  In weeks now, no nightmares either.  

This trip has been good that way. I love that I want to go home. I love that I’m thinking of Gilbert. I love that I’m thinking of the amazing women I know that make things better. I was sharing about the death of my father, mother and brother and choked up.  Grief is ever fresh though the despair may pass. 

 I ‘m looking forward to seeing the guys too, those hunters and fishermen’s and family guys I’m blessed to know.  I’ve a Canucks game to attend.  I don’t even care about the snow. I ‘m looking forward to the spring motorcycling and camping in the mountains beneath the pine and spruce by the running mountains streams.  Laura and I love BC camping.  

It’s dry and hot here. We are blessed with out abundance of water.  I’m looking forward to going to my church on return, to the Mexican restaurant after and having a lazy Sunday afternoon reading and walking Gilbert.  

I will forever remember Lallbella and am so thankful for Dean Peter Elliott’s maintenance of Christ Church.  Sacred buildings are important. It’s sad that so many of the great old churches of Canada are not being maintained, being decommissioned and going their way. I love the vision of King Lallibela. 

I think I’ll get dressed. I’m still a bit weak and tired but the best Best Western Breakfast is calling me.  Also the hot shower.  






No comments: