Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Ethiopia - Lalibela Bete Medhane Alem

The rock hewn church’s are truly a godly wonder.  A bit like Rome with tourists.  The biggest church was full with guides describing the crosses and the architecture.  I loved the monks that sat as the nuns had sat in the cathedrals watching to ensure no one vandalized these gifts of God.
Lalibela was truly a saint to undertake such a glorious project as a New Jerusalem.  

I sat in a corner and prayed giving thanks to God the father, God the son and God the Holy Ghost. I thanked God for my family and my friends. The first name that came to mind was of course Laura but then I thanked Belinda whose  caring for Gilbert allowed me to go on pilgrimage.
I thanked God for my nephews and their loves.  
I thanked God for this life and asked guidance and healing to know what I am to do and how best to serve him.  
I felt the presence. I feel the presence often, so often at work, so often with nature, but I love to sit in church in prayer and feel the prayers of all who have sat as I. 
I thank Lalibela, the monks, and priests and the workers who had such vision that today we come from all over the world to pray here.

My guide showed me the genius of the drainage system was what preserved the buildings.  Holes in the wall once held coffins of royalty but now are empty and used by monks to meditate.  There is a large pool where barren women come to bathe in hope of a miracle.  There are several churches in the complex, with countless symbols that the guide pointed out to me.  All the different crosses in the side church representing the arm of Jesus, then in the feet of Jesus, called Golgotha or Calvary, there is the tomb of Saint Lalibela.  

Outside the main church a priest was conducting a religious school painting holy pictures with the children. I was moved to give him 100 brr and he insisted I take the picture he just painted. His smile was beautific and the children were all happy. It was a very special moment for me.  Right after I saw the most beautiful green and yellow bird pecking in the soil. That’s where the flies started and I was glad for deet and my hat with netting. The flies aren’t special just run of the mill house flies. The locals just brush them away with a branch. I was prepared.

The greatest underground church was built like an ark, not to be seen if one weren’t specifically looking , built straight down in the earth.  I enjoyed it very much. A monk with great joy held up the golden cross of his church for tourists taking pictures. There was a great painting of St. George slaying the dragon. 

There were paintings of the saints and Mary and Child all through the rock hewn churches.  Lovely woven rugs carpeted the insides of the church. We all had to take our shoes off each time we entered the church and put them back on each time we came out. I was fatigued with this and the walking and the knee. There was holy water for those with sickness. I touched it to my lips and asked God to relieve the pain and for healing.  Even as I did I remembered the sermon from Isaiah where the seraphs touched the unclean lips and forgiveness occurred.

I asked God for forgiveness. What I need forgiveness for I’m never sure. I carry a microscope and telescope.  I want God to be the focus.  










































   

No comments: