Monday, February 18, 2019

Ethiopia - Addis Ababa - Back Again

I caught a summer cold, bronchitis. Spent a day in bed resting in Axum.  I’ve flown back to Addis Ababa.  Ethiopia Airlines with their Bombadier Q400 jets are a delight.  I’ve returned to Best Western Plus Addis Ababa and am very happy to be here.  I’m on the 9th floor on the other side of the building with a better view.  Also I have a balcony.
 The girl at the front desk spoke 6 languages. I’d witnessed her speak three while she was waiting on me so asked. 6 languages.  I’m amazed.
I had thought to spend a night here and fly overnight to Gondar coming back on Wednesday but it’s just too much hustle. I’m rather tired out with this cold and travel so I’m going to enjoy what’s available around Addis.  Gondar is famous for it’s palace and a grand old church with ancient manuscripts.  There was civil unrest outside of Gondar so I wasn’t able to drive there as planned but could fly in. The town is safe.
It’s some sort of celebration occasioned by the latest war.  Last night there was lots of horn honking and noise making. Today the television has repeated speeches and wreath laying.
It’s been a whirlwind so I’m glad for this vacation to slow down a notch and enjoy
Just had lunch, lamb Tibs with injerah downstairs with Elias. If I’m feeling better tomorrow I may drive out to an old church and Menelik old palace on a hill nearby. I also emailed Abyssinian Balloning to see if they have anything available. Their first take off on their site is Friday.
There’s an English speaking meeting I’m going to at St Matthews Anglican Church at 6:30 pm.
These are just some pictures I’ve taken on the norther historic route that I don’t think I ve shared.

Axum
Axum camels
View from Best Western Addis

Axum
Best western Plus Addis
Guide Sabean Hotel Axum
Dawn view Sabean International Hotel Axum
Sabean International

No comments: