Saturday, February 9, 2019

Ethiopia - Holy Trinity Cathedral, Addis Ababa

My guide, Lesan (Facebook - Lesan Gold Hailu) told me the Holy Trinity Cathedral was a unique European design for a Coptic Church being rectangular whereas most others are not.  It’s a beautiful holy place where the peace is so present.  The men enter and sit on right side of the church, the women on the left. In the space restricted for those participating in the service there are two carved wood seats where Emperor Selassie and the Empress sat.  I sat in a pew looking up at the painted dome ceiling.  Then I prayed and meditated feeling the sacred sense of this space where so many holy men had prayed and meditated.  I found it moving.  Lesan, himself a Coptic Christian showed me how the stained glass told a story from the Old Testament on one side to the New Testament on the other.  He also showed me the tombs of Emperor Selassie and his Empress.




Eden and the fall

Baptism







Toms of,Emperor and Empress






The,ark

No comments: