Sunday, February 17, 2019

Ethiopia - Axum - Queen of Sheba - out and about

I’ve just come from Queen of Sheba’s bath and palace. It’s a grid of rocks and shows a very large palace was once there. This was only found not long ago and is more evidence of how much remains to be found.

My driver took me through the market.  I was amazed at the variety there. I saw camels. I liked that.  

Back at my hotel I walked across the street to where there was a lovely outdoor shaded table.  Unfortunately I was only there  minutes before an old wizened lady came up and demanded money and food. Shaking my head, repeating no would not stop her. Then a collection of 6 to 11 year old boys in uniform surrounded me eyeing my camera and iPhone.  It was all so uncomfortable that I escaped in doors where there were a number of men working quietly away on lap tops while others watch a television show of some modern Ethiopian war footage. Somerebels were being captured at gun point. It’s incongruous to see young men in short shorts laying down their weapons and holding their hands high.


I liked Lalibela better for the less intrusive salesmen. Here if I look at something the salesman begins chasing after me down the street trying to make a deal. It’s  annoying. It invariably has resulted in my not wanting to do any shopping here.  I was in an excellent shop,  St. Geoge’s gifts where I bought an Axum cross. Lovely man.  It’s the street vendors that are a trial.

Of course I have a summer cold and my tolerance is low so it may simply be my perception. Right now all the trucks are driving back and forth on the Main Street loaded with kids and young people.A cacaphony of blaring sound.

I’ve heard from one of the folk I talked with that the DERG were terrible but that it was for several years after the liberation that the killing persisted. Pay back I guess. Everyone I’ve asked tells me the present leadership is the best and that things have been getting better for a decade. 

There’s still such poverty.  Basic living.  Vans and trucks but very few cars. The Tuk Tuks prevail. There’s also lots of donkey pulled flatbed carts.  I’ve got a summer cold so am irritable and not good company for myself even. 

I will pray and meditate and have lunch. One of those should help.  Bicycles. It’s incredible watching the streets here. A man with 2 feathered chickens with the heads cut off walked by with one in each hand. A green camouflaged man carrying an AK followed. Then some kids in T-shirt’s with western inscriptions



























No comments: