Monday, November 16, 2009

Torrential Rains and Cold Showers

Torrential Rains and Cold Showers
All night the rain has been pouring down. Winds have lifted the boat and moved us back and forth. The pitter patter on the roof is more a machine gun drill with winds howling in rigging at times. I’ve stuck my head up several times to ensure I’m still connected to the earth and not pulled out to see. The weather man said it came from Hawaii. A “Pineapple Express”. Watching the weather faxes the lows do come right across the Pacific. I watched them and was in them during the ocean crossings in this boat. Yet now I am safe in harbor and dream lovely dreams of times in summer cottages with the friends of my mother. Myself a younger man with more hope and faith and carrying less the burdens of age. I would lift the weight of war from this Atlas back and unwrinkle the furrowed brow. We must be like children again, Jesus said, to enter the gates of heaven. I would find that innocence again. Too much of the negatives of life and my own fearful nature have stuck to my mind and interfered with the clear signal of God’s grace. Life is good. God is great. Celebrate. Sing. Dance. Even in the darkness and rain of late fall know this rainforest is singing praises for the long awaited drink from the heavens. I wont take the motorcycle to work today. Instead I ‘ll drive the truck perhaps. Better to deal with puddles and overwrought drivers. Sheets of rain are running over the deck. A couple of small window leaks will need attending to now that most of the stowing is done. I’ve the engine and diesel heater to run while I’m still praying for a solution to the water heater.
It’s funny how a problem like this with roots and resentments attached will come to roost in my life. I took it in to the repair shop. It required me to dismantle it myself and then carry it in on a weekday taking time from work. They repaired it. It’s a life time warranty or some such thing though I’ve only had it a few years. Then it was reinstalled. Another day of repair. It ran. Now it doesn’t. I don’t know if the problem is in the heater which I think it is or in the propane connection to the heater. I phone and I can’t get a plumber for a week or more and they threaten to cost an arm and a leg. They only work during the week. So I have to take a day off not knowing if the problem can be solved in a day. I would buy a new heater and have it installed if that would be better but still it requires someone to be hear and I work as we all do today. Who has these wives or unemployed children and friends who can come and stay on a boat while the workers come. Few of us workers. So the whole thing becomes overwhelming knowing that to get hot water I will disappointed a dozen people who I’ll have to cancel and they’ve been waiting months angrily to see me because the whole system is failing and meanwhile I don’t know how I can stop working for a day with a rapacious tax man going through ancient records looking for taxes they didn’t collect. Yet who has records and I’m on my third accountant because the businessmen fail yet only lawyers can collect from them and only the rich can afford lawyers so the experience of “OPPRESSION” and the injustice of the world overwhelms and then it’s ‘ask a friend for a shower or have a cold shower. I’ve been having cold showers and I don’t like it. But maybe this is what God wants. Nothing better fro the immunological system in a flu epidemic than bracing cold showers. So that’s where the heater ends with me stealing myself for another freezing cold shower. Today I’ll face the problem of the hot water again by phoning the plumber again and maybe arranging for a day off and day loss of income which will mean I won’t be able to afford the plumber. Meanwhile all the government workers who I pay taxes for are on salary and have “sick days” just for this. While the self employed lower class citizens like myself …….”poor me” “Poor me”. Go have a cold shower and shut up already.

No comments: