Friday, June 17, 2022

Comparison is the thief of joy

Comparison is the thief of joy, was attributed to Roosevelt.  This morning I was circling about the drain of self pity.  My mind is a bad neighbour hood. I shouldn’t go there alone. I was considering finances.  I wasn’t thinking about the day. I was in the future worrying about not having a pension and wondering how much money I would “need’ in really old age.  I was fearing institutions and nursing homes and government attacks on the elderly.  I was so disturbed by the Canadian government mismanagement of the pension funds leaving so little for the elderly and with the Trudeau mismanagement of the economy inflation is literally killing my patients on fixed income, mostly the elderly and marginal. 
Meanwhile, Carpe Diem, I was making Paraguayan coffee. It was a sunny day finally. I’d just walked the dog.  He sniffs everything and his body shakes with joy.  I’ve only a morning work before the weekend. Laura is coming.  She’s a joy to be with. We’re going to the BC Scottish Games tomorrow.  All is well. But where was my mind , concerned about money and making comparisons to former enemies from the past.  Such as waste and buzz killed.  I’m not even having much back pain. The banana and lemon yoghurt I had were delicious. I’m on my second cup of coffee.  The New NIV Bible I bought has arrived.
I opened it randomly, Ecclesiastes.
“As everyone comes, so they depart, and what do they gain,, since they toil for the wind?”
Doesn’t that just say it.  My real job is to love god and love my neighbour as myself.  Comparison is the thief of joy.  I’m only too quick to choose to compare myself who outwardly and financially or worldly appear bettter without considering equally the multitude who suffer with less.  I’m gifted. I’m blessed. I need to be more grateful.
Thank you for the sun today Lord. Thank you for Madigan.  Thank you for my motorcycle and vehicles.  Thank you for the fresh air, Thank you for the bird song. Thank you for my good sleep last night. Thank you for all the blessings. Help me serve you today.
Thank you Jesus Christ, my saviour. 




No comments: