Thursday, July 30, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude


7 am at the Hyatt in San Antonnio I made it to the early morning AA meeting that Hal Marley chaired here at IDAA until his death. He gave me an 'Attitude of Gratitude' pin some years back inviting me to come to Washington DC for a meeting. His beautiful wife loved to dance and we talked of dance, and love of life. Today Cheryl reminded us that Hal also said we must accept life 'happily'. That's truly a higher experience than the grim approach I too often bring to my own life experience stoically biting the bullet so to speak when Hal and his wife would have us all seeking the up beat. That's the only way to truly live in the sacred now too. So much laughter follows.

5 comments:

Jeff Kroeker said...

stumbled upon this accidentally while trying to find a source for the lapel pins...Hal was my grandfather. It's nice to see that he touched so many people and is memorialized in this way.

haykind said...

Hal was very kind to me. I have heard of so many people in IDAA who were touched as I was by Hal's great heart. This year his early morning gratitude meeting was continued in his honour with many of us having an opportunity to sing his praise.

Anonymous said...

Jeff: Although it's probably an inadequate word considering the love and fraternity we shared Hal was one of my heroes for many years and also - around 1990 or thereabouts - gave me one of his pins, which I treasured until I just lost it. I did a quick search of "Attitude of Gratitude" and here I am. Pray and trust we each find pins. Thanks, William, for remembering my Brother, Hal. Sincerely and fraternally - Brian

haykind said...

Thanks, Brian.

Brian Richard Allen said...

Worked with (under/for) Hal at State for a few years, late 70s thro mid 80s. Consumate Professional. And - then and thro later years - went to meetings with him, met on the Square -- and wore his gift, "Attitude of Gratitude" -- with pride. Hal is in my every prayer. I ask the the Almighty take Good care of him and of everyone he loved. And I thank him for his life. -- Brian Richard Allen