Sunday, March 24, 2024

New Westminster Quayside and the Boathouse Restaurant

New Westminster Quayside is a terrific walk along the working Frazer River where it splits into several channels.  The townhouses along the shore have a wonderful view ,though back enough from the shore to allow room for a lovely flowered walk.  
The sun has come out so I’m able to sit outside in the Boathouse Balcony. I’m waiting for Arctic Char truly one of the world’s finest white fish. I was about to order fish and chips , the standard cod, when I saw this delicacy on the menu and remembered having it here ‘before Covid’.  I’m having it grilled today and think the last time I had it broiled. 
Arctic Char is a fish I was blessed to have when I worked as a fly in doctor in Yukon, Northern BC and the North West Territories. It’s caught further north.  The patient who regularly gifted me with the fish I grew to love caught the Char in Franklin Bay named after one of Canada’s foremost intrepid sailors and explorers.
I’ve ordered Madigan a burger since he’s not fond of fish and prefers steak but settles for burger.  As he believes MacDonalds the best and devours those readily , with better burgers from finest restaurant he’s said he’d pass, but gladly has them later at night. Meat is meat .  Here there’s so much distraction like the cute little poodle who just came by and sniffed his genitals with the pretty Asian dog owners encouraging the meet and greet.  
I loved the flowers blooming today. Spring!  
I felt badly having slept in this morning and missed Palm Sunday church service.  I’d stayed up later watching Guy Ritchie’s (of My Winnipeg fame) incredibly intriguing and at times very wry The Gentleman series.  I posted how much I was enjoying it and as often happens my Facebook friends agreed, loving it too.  I rarely stay up late and yet there I was at 1 am hardly able to pull myself away.  Holy Week began and I was asleep with my lamp not lit. I’d better pick up my game.  
The serenity of this place is certainly a move in the right direction.  I prefer it to the rush and chaos of the Stanley Park Seawall where cyclists collect points for terrifying walkers. Still I’d like to get down to English Bay one of these days and enjoy the vibe and maybe walk over to Kits beach to watch some Beach Volleyball.
After being in Arizona and Southern Colifornia in the winter I came back having made a pact with myself to get out and enjoy this incredible city.  Covid had me too isolated in doors.  And taking too long to recover.
My goodness was that delicious! The Arctic Char was grilled to perfection. The little potatoes and zucchini and carrots exactly right firmness.  I tasted Madigan’s burger and it was really good too. Madigan cocakapooe’d the burger and licked his lips ready for more.



I’m enjoying a second cappuccino.
What a great outing. Sunday afternoon at its best!








No comments: