Sunday, March 17, 2024

Squamish Spring Motorcycle Ride, Sea to sky highway

Friday was fantastic.  I rode my motorcycle, the new HG Nightster Special, with Madigan in his box on bag, head up, to Horseshoe Bay.  I’d done this ride so many times in past years.  I used to motorcycle to White Cliff meeting where I’d also scuba dived in the sea below many times.  Now I just loved passing Cyprus Mountain entrance with fond memories of chilli after snowshoeing up to the Cypress Mountain Hollyburn Lodge with Laura one year.  The views were incredible of English Bay with the tankers at anchor. All around snow capped mountains and the distinctive lions.

Madigan was a bit chilled by the ride despite his sweater so was glad to get off and walk.  Horseshoe Bay Ferry was just leaving and seagulls were everywhere.  I had fond memories of coming here for birthday celebrations with George. Also memories of Archie and friends.  Such great nights as well as all the fish and chips dinners at Trolls.  I walked Madigan on the shore so he could get off leash and enjoy the sunshine and freedom.  

Rogina arrived on her motorcycle and recognised me with Madigan. I suggested Trolls so we had take out Halibut and fries with their amazing clam chowder. It was great to meet up with another biker and talk rides.  Rogina loves the Horseshoe Bay ride as a break from her art studio where she paints and sculpts all day.  I just loved being in the sun and warm loving being by the sea remembering the times I docked the SV GIRI here.

The ride back to Vancouver through West  Vancouver and the serpentine trail was a delight. I ‘d ridden my first Aprilia on that road, the leather the Buell Blast and Harley’s.  More memories , more nostalagia

I loved passing where George and I had monthly ‘sole food’.  Rogina separated at Taylor way while I headed through North Vancouver to struggle with the traffic before the bridge. Glad to be past there I had a pleasant ride out to Burnaby and home.  What a great day.  

Rogina said she and Carolyn were planning a ride to Squamish next day.  I’d not done that since before covid.

I had a chiropracter apt with Dr. Ready at Klein chiropractic.  After that relief I was glad for a nap.  

It was 1 pm when Madigan and I headed out on the Harley figuring we could at least get to Britannia.  He was gung ho to ride. He jumps up on the seat and tries to climb into his box while I’d lashing it to the bike.  A mother perfect day for a ride with glorious sunshine and blue sky. I couldn’t help but think of George Harrison’s Here comes the sun as we headed up the spectacular Sea to Sky Highway.

I stopped at Britannia so Madigan could have a piddle.  I’d doubled his sweaters and he seemed to be warm enough.  Sure enough after a quick piddle he had jumped up on the seat and was waiting for me to chauffeur. 

Next stop Squamish!!  Sure enough the congregation of bikers was meeting at the Starbucks.  Dozens with all manner of ride.  I remember my first time here on the Buell and then later with the Roadster when I’d take the circle route through Pemberton to Lliloouet.  Carolyn and Rogina were there with a table of bikers. They had to buy a battery for one of their bikers like I’d needed to buy a battery for my key fob.  The alarm had gone off until I drove to London Drugs and return with a little 3 volt battery.  $6.  Meanwhile their motorcycle battery cost more than $200.  Madigan was everyone’s favourite puppy.  A joke fest was going on with Hilton remembering jokes I’d not heard since I was 8 year old.  All the now banned material.  

How can teen jokes today?  I thought given the rise of censorship in Canada .The joke fest took me back to nights on call in the north listening to bush pilots and nurses.  Humor is considered the highest of developmental coping like altruism but our government is so far removed from reality it doesn’t get the joke.  The nurse and pilots and soldiers did of course. Here were bikers and the laughter was infectious.  I admit I thought a couple of times, no more, that speeding beside a cliff on my Harley wouldn’t be a good place to have the onset of senility or a stroke.  Better to laugh and live.

Riding down the mountain was fun as a group. Reminded me of the HOG and poker runs to a whole lot of bikes.  There were the three of us with lots more passing us.  Seeing the ocean I thought of all the times I sailed the Giri up the arm and looked up at the cars and bikes.  Here I was now looking down at the ferry and fishing boats.  Perspective.  I just love the sea to sky highway and the motorcycling was at it’s finest.  

Carolyn and Rogina peeled off to cross their bridge and I continued west.  More traffic but eventually home in Burnaby. What a great day.!!! What great people!!! My HD was a great bike.  This winter I’d ridden it in Arizona desserts enjoying cactus and speed but now I’d enjoyed its excellent climbing and turning capabilities.  British Columbia is god’s country. I realized again in Southern California what a beautiful city Vancouver was with so many great activities so close.  Covid had really thrown a monkey wench into the works. I’d really not participated in the city since then and felt glad I was getting out. This ride had been an almost annual event before Covid and I was so glad to have done it again.  Next it will be the Tulip festival.  

Madigan loves the motorcycle rides to so a great companion and fun to meet up with other bikers for a coffee on a sunny day.   

















 

No comments: