Thursday, August 24, 2023

Social Media

I’ve a break between patients sand scanning social media.  Facebook has chosen to send me all the clips of the Miss World Contest. I can only guess that it’s because I enjoy some photographers and models on my feed so repeatedly like their pages.   I dated models, was a dancer and loved the pageantry of youth, I’m enjoying seeing all these beautiful young people caught up in competition and social frivolity.  Today I mostly work alone only interacting with colleagues once a week while spending hours a day on the phone or in virtual communication.  Young I was always in a group of young men and women, in theatre, on television, in green rooms, eating chinese sweet and sour ribs late at night in restaurants that catered to a flamboyant and shady mix, the entertainment crowd after shows, and the bar tenders and night crowd.  There’s a particular group of ‘after closing’ people that needs somewhere to go before returning to often empty and lonely digs,  The fast food 24 hour places serve that function today in a sterile way.  Instead in my day we had these hard working family restaurants serving ethnic foods. There was one particular place a theatre director took me to that had only ribs.  Years later I’d go to after hour honky tonks that had locked entrances with small openings in locked door. The doorman was there to keep unsavoury folk out but mostly to alert everyone if there was a raid.  Today the intercom has replaced the doorman and sliding opening just big enough for a face.  

It’s been a long time since I was out past midnight so I can’t comment on the 3 am and 5 am places,

I love seeing my first wife’s and dance partner on FB travelling in Italy.  We’d planned to bicycle there but early winter storms caused us to detour at Heidelberg to avoid the mountain passes and catch a rise with an Alberta’s bus driver to Southern Spain and Morocco.  She looks as beautiful as ever and is travelling with a friend who worked with her on the numerous shows she choreographed over the years.  It wassn’t so long ago she retired from dancing.  Amazing life with sons and family and countless awards for performances.  She was in Venice where I want to go and the Vatican where I ‘ve been.  I love Italy and her pictures certainly encourage me to return.  

Laura loved our time in Milan and Rome.  Now we’re gearing up for fall hunting season with a couple of weeks planned in the camper, first in bow hunting season and next in rifle hunting season. I’m excited about bow hunting partridge with my little cockapoo Madigan who on his own fetched those I short and brought them back to me.  I’d like to shoot a deer for the venison. I’ve missed venison stew and venison barbecue. I’ve not shot a deer since before Mexico.  This winter I’m planning on returning to Arizona and northern Mexico.  I really did enjoy missing some of last years winter and ice so hope for the same yesterday.  Covid made me feel anxious about my lungs having acquired TB as a fly in doctor in northern canada for years. It was diagnosed by the American and I was subjected to a year of treatment which caused me deafness.  Clindamycin which I”d needed for treatment of a resistant pneumonia years before caused me to lose a lot of my sense of smell.  Aging I feel like I’m losing the connection with the world physically in bits and pieces.  I really am enjoying my leisure time now that I hope to hold on to as many faculties for as long as I can.  

I was reading about Ben Shapiro whose column I’ve enjoyed.  He’s challenged the rather sloppy thinking of the leftist students and profs in his campus talks.  I prefer a bit more leeway but appreciate his countering the radical left that masquerades as central. He’s a counterpoint to communist Trudeau who is so corrupt and deceitful 

There’s a chill in the air, I liked this in the past , autumn being the time that I took courses or went hunting,  I have been looking at courses, There’s an on line Oxford course I would like to take on prehistory but I fear I’ve too much to do. It surprises me that I was able to take so many night school courses in theology and language and literature for so many decades. Now I like to walk the dog, make dinner and watch NCIS.  Last night after a terrific Wednesday Night Men’s meeting I picked up a baked chicken I shared with Madigan. We had a bit of a pig out with that followed by Cherry Garcia ice cream which I shared as well,  I call the little guy the ‘sausage’ as he’s settling down and gaining some weight.  A Bernice Saint Bernard cross female is visiting next door and Madigan was trying to hump her leg. The owner was telling me of bring kidnapped for ransom in South America.  

It’s another sunny blue sky day with a light breeze,  I’m really grateful for the sunshine and good time that August has been,  I feel relaxed often and have moments of peace and maybe even bliss.  God is good all of the time.  All Shall Be Well. Thank you, Jesus. 










No comments: