Sunday, October 3, 2021

Hay Bay Famiy

I woke to the quiet of the country.  The air was sweet.  A light rain fell as I walked Madigan, the cockapoo,to the water .  A slight mist rose from the still Hay Bay.  Madigan was uncertain about the slippery wood on the dock.  So much is new to the little guy. Honking Canada geese lifted from the water and headed towards Quinte on Lake Ontario. 

Yesterday he so enjoyed meeting his cockapoo aunties, Pepper and Eva.  They got on well with Adell sharing treats with all on their first walk. Then Pepper and Madigan were playing chase.

The pear tree my brother Ron planted the last year is ripe with pears.

Meaghan who is marrying Alan, Ron and Adell’s youngest, was up early this morning. I hugged her.  It’s been years and Covid since they returned from England for their wedding delayed till this fall. We all have vaccinations.  

I’m sitting in the fabulous sun room, this great lighted space we all love. The children, adults, play board games here. That was before Andrew and Tanya had Finn and Elliott. I’ve yet to meet Elliott. Graeme, Ron and Adell’s oldest, was exhausted when he arrived yesterday.  

“I’ve come from a day with Finn. He’s a regular energizer bunny,” he said.  We’ll be back in Ottawa at the end of the week for the wedding and to meet my latest great nephew.  

Mom and Dad must be watching from heaven. I remember their joy when Ron and Adell had Graeme and Andrew, little tikes, now grown men.  Alan came later. I loved getting to know him when he came for a week of sailing with me on the coast.  I loved meeting Meaghan when they began dating at the university.  Then Christmas with Ron and Adell and her mother in the Ottawa home.  Now they are both psychologists, grown. The cliches, time flies, and it was just yesterday, hold true.  

It surprises me, normally living alone,  feeling the  other family in this great spread of a house.  Graeme,upstairs at his computer,Alan and Meagan, in another room.  Laura is upstairs in the guest room on Facebook, last I saw, my adoring mutt, Madigan, lying on the bed at her sife.  Adell has gone back to the master bed room suite on the main floor after walking , Eva and Pepper.  The rain makes the forest by the lakeshore and the flowers on the deck happy.  It’s  cozy.  Inside, warm, watching the rain lightly falling on the deck and great lawn beyon.  

Graeme barbecued medallion steaks last night that melted in my mouth.  We sat on the on the deck around the glass table, the evening still warm but no mosquitoes,  under stars, a family meal.  Graeme told stories of playing in different bands, engineering school days.   Trumpets and drums.  I’d not been at a family meal since last I was here for Christmas, before Covid. It is comforting. 

I feels Ron’s presence, humour and love here.  I see Mom and Dad smiling and the grandparents, aunts and uncles peeking in. It’s all a blessing.  I’m so truly grateful.  















No comments: