Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Napanee Autumn

Gobblers on the road last night. V’s of geese honking in the sky.  Sounds of shot guns duck hunting early morning. Leaves changing colours.  Gold, yellow and orange splashes paint the woods.  Pumpkins by the side of the road. Halloween costumes in the store.  Witches and goblins.  The northern nip scents the air.  White morning mushrooms spoke the forest floor on walks with the dog.  Black and brown squirrels gathering nuts run across the lawn and tarry beneath the bird feeding station.  A rabbit stares from beneath a bush. Osprey and raven circle above on thermoclines. 
I’m visiting family for the wedding of nephew Alan and Meagan later this week. Adell, my truly accomplished sister in law has been making family meals each night, haute cuisine. Such variety. Last night pepper steaks with local grilled mushrooms and mashed potatoes with dill and peas.  Simple but elegant. I look forward to her meals.  Dessert of walnut stuffed pear with maple syrup and ice cream.  
I visitted my yacht yesterday. The paint is lifting and spots of rust are showing. I ‘ve not been doing maintenance a few years. I had it trucked here from Vancouver and sailed it on Lake Ontario a few years past.  Paid family to sand and bottom paint. I did that myself every year or two at most. Sand blasted the boat every 5 to 10 years. So much maintenance. Now it needs a couple of weeks of loving care.  I am of two minds about the work.  I borrowed a step ladder to climb up into the cockpit.  That was a trial and the effort left my back sore in the night.  I didn’t have a key for the main lock. While I was climbing up into the cockpit Laura had held the ladder and watched Madigan who tried to climb the ladder after me.  

 On the way back to Hay Bay we drove through Napanee and I picked up a skookum bolt cutter and lock replacement at the Canadian Tire. I’m due to return today.  Just standing in the cockpit causes an ocean of memories.  I shudder to think of them. Being knocked down in the 40 foot seas and high winds after the hurricane.  The night of anchor running the engine full open throttle to assist the anchor in the hurricane force winds of the exposed harbour rode full out and the seas smashing the rocks behind.  Trees plucked out of the earth flying through the wind.  Climbing the mast after the safe harbour in Astoria with 60 knot winds in harbour only to have the antenna the antennae dislodge and smash about at the top of the mast. I climbed it on autopilot with 20 foot seas the boat flopping back and force so I could have touched the sea on either side. Bungee cording the antennae to safe the mast.  Juan de Fuca channel mouth, 40 foot steep seas 50 knots winds, crossing, knocked down three times.  

I was thinking of keeping the boat. Remembering drinking coffee below in the cozy cabin with the diesel flame.  Making love in the v birth at anchor.  Fair winds and following seas, tropical trade winds.  Manta rays jumping in Sea of Cortez.  80 foot whales swimming alongside off the California coast. The rich loam scent of the Hawaiian Islands.  
Dolfins dancing off the bow waves.  Catching tuna and salmon and ling cod.  Great barbecue. Nights of guitar and song under the canopy of stars.

A love and fear relationships with the GIRI.  

“I’m getting old and thinking of selling my sailboat. It’s two big for solo sailing.  I’m thinking of a smaller lighter sailboat I can handle more easily.”  I told the young man working in the Loyalist Cove Marina.

“You and 85% of the other yacht owners here,” he laughed.  

The dogs, Eva and Pepper are barking at the squirrels outside.  Madigan is in dog heaven. He’s convinced Pepper to chase him round and round the sun room.  Dogs will be dogs.  Eva the oldest likes to watch and bark. 

Graeme just came in and said he would be ready to go back to the Marina.  

“If you’re even thinking of selling it, probably a good idea to make sure there’s not underwear lying about.”  he said last night.

I thought I would unload personal items and things that I wouldn’t want to go with a sale just in case. I thought I could come back next year and how I’d enjoy working in the boat yard for weeks repainting and outfitting the boat. I could carry on with the plan of sailing down to the Caribbean.  Get a crew.  Have the boat as a southern home away from home.  

The happiest days of a boat owners life though are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.  I’ve and RV and land and prefer a low maintenance life these days.  It’s a challenge I must face.  I really don’t have to do anything but look today.  Bolt cutters as back up keys. Memories.













No comments: