Wednesday, July 3, 2019

60 years old - Surprise Party

The most important thing about turning 60 was a surprise birthday party thrown for me by Aim, Joanne, Laura, Elizabeth, Graham and more.
I was attending St. James Anglican Church after an angry young man publicly informed us in the service that only service dogs were allowed at Christ Church.  Gilbert was a service dog but not wearing his jacket.  We left and decided to check out St. James Anglican Church in the DTES.
At the door I met Father Mark Greenaway Robbins.  
“Thought Gilbert, my cockapoo,  was blessed by the Bishop,” he was not welcome at Christ Church Cathedral. “
“Would he be welcome here?”  I asked.
“He’s certainly welcome. I just don’t know about you.” Father Mark welcomed us laughing and introduced Gilbert to his dog Bear who roamed about the church.  I loved Father Mark and St. James attending for years.
I’d rent the hall for my book launch and the girls rented it for my surprise birthday party. It certainly was a surprise.  It really was truly a surprise. So wonderful to see all these people I knew so well having come out on a spring night. I felt so good feeling cared for in a special way.  It was fun too that they’d brought my guitar and had me recite poetry and then sing. Graham who’d become a dancer even brought a beautiful Russian ballroom dance teacher because he wanted everyone to see me dance. She was such a beautiful dancer it was easy to lead her.  I really enjoyed the night. I cry to think of it.  I was truly blessed and felt it. I’m often blessed but don’t acknowledge it and lack the gratitude my life deserves with so many kind and loving people.

2012
This was the diamond jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, the 60th year of her ascension to the thrones of United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. It was the year of the Greek debt crisis and the Eurozone bailout. Britannica Encyclopedia  according to Wickipedia quit it’s print edition after 246 years.  Vladimir Putin was elected President of Russia. China’s Shenzhou 9 spacecraft with two men and one woman docked with orbitting Tiangong-1.  The Higgs Bosun particle was discovered by CERN.Curiosity the science lab rover landed on Mars. Barack Obama was re elected President of the United States.  American singers  Etta  James,  Whitney Houston  and Donna Summer died that year along with English singer Davey Jones. Science Fiction writer Ray Bradbury died.  Actors Andy Griffith and Ernest Borgnine died. Phyllis Diller died. Neil Armstrong died. John Gordon and Shinya Yamaka were awarded the Nobel Prize for Physiology for showing mature cells can be converted to stem cells. 


No comments: