Sunday, July 7, 2019

Paul McCartney's "Freshen Up 2019 Tour" Vancouver

This was the best concert ever!. Paul McCartney was a true gentleman. I loved his tributes to John and George and celebration of Ringo and George Martin.  Nice words for Jimmi Hendrix. Great little anecdotes. Unbelievable band.  Special effects over the top. And the music of a lifetime.
The Beatles first formed in Liverpool in 1960.  The  first Lennon McCartney song was released in 1962 ‘Love me do’.  I remember it. . I was only 10 at the time. Last night Paul played their first Quarrymen recording. They’d gone to school at Quarry Bank High School in Liverpool. Paul, John, George were the core group. They played clubs including strip clubs in Hamburg from where they were deported, breach of contract, Harrison under age, and arson - burning a condom in a cement corridor.  Ringo Starr would join as drummer in 1962. Brian Epstein was their manager at the time but it was the genius of George Martin , ‘the Fiftl Beatle’, that contributed so much to their recordings.
“She Loves You’ released in 1963 is the song that I most remember as the first Beatles hit I really loved. Paul opened his Freshen Up Tour concert with this song to earth shaking applause. A Hard’s Days night followed in 1964 and by 12 years old I was now a great Beatles fan.  Paul played this too.  "All my loving" released in 1963 had me a blubbering teen ager.  "And I love her"  released in 1964 opened the flood gates more. The Beatles were literally describing the emotional roller coaster of my adolescent love life with my first chaste girlfriend. Can’t Buy Me Love was another from those early days.  There are just so many hits songs from the most successful band of the century that it must be nearly impossible to choose a setlist for a show.
He laughed about the popularity of their early music but their also liking their later music.
In junior high, Gr. 9, I helped organize the first Viscount Alexander Junior High School ‘sock hop’.  We were jerking and monkeying to the Beatles then. I was madly in love (puppy love) and the sadness of 1966 Eleanor Rigby caught the heart strings of a poor 14 year old boy. I loved hearing and seeing Paul perform this.   He played piano, bass guitar , acoustic and mandolin. I loved the horns section.  Brian Ray, Rusty Anderson, Paul Wickens and Abe Laboriel were as Paul called them the best band in the whole world.  He'd know, he's played in only the best bands himself.
 Throughout the show,  I was reeling with nostalgia and the good feelings of the Beatles songs.  Paul was like this grandfather with a whimsical streak,  so relaxed and confident. He’d been there with us through junior high school and senior high school. I’d even learned Beatles songs and sung them badly to girlfriends playing guitar badly and despite that actually was developing a love life.  Love was the message. The Vietnam war was the alternative. Peace and Romantic Love were all that the Beatles were about.  I loved John’s Intellectualism, George’s spirituality, Ringo’s humour and Paul was ,the favourite of the girls, the down to earth, the good guy.
I loved at the concert the videos of his life  running on the huge screen behind the band. The song he sang as a tribute to John and then one as a tribute to George had the former Beatles pictures huge in the back ground.  It  was so moving.  We've all had losses now. We carry on. I’ll ever remember the picture of him with his baby and his saying “she’s now a mother with 4 boys of her own and a husband.” Time sure passes. Yesterday. Where did it go?
There were grey hairs and beautiful people all around Laura and I. We were dancing mostly at our seats. I'd only sit down for his stories. My back and knee and feet  were hurting so I sat for one of the ballads but couldn't sit still.  I’ve been playing Lady Madonna on the guitar since it first appeared on the radio.  I loved it. Let it Be had me in tears.  Hey Jude I’d sung one amazing night I rode a carriage through the park in Bombay, I a psychiatrist at that time, my friend the missionary doctor with Mother Theresa and a big hearted east Indian businessmen.  Beatles songs are like that, the rubber stamp on a relationship or epoch time.  My heart almost burst out of my chest when I heard him sing those songs that were so close to me.



There were so many ‘fun’ songs in the concert to.  They reminded us of the ‘joy’ of Beatles music.  I bought so many of their albums.  Rubber Soul and Revolver  from 1965 and 1966 were my favourite Beatle's albums.   I was 13 and 14  years old and had my first portable turntable for 33's and 45's and played them over and over and over again.  The songs were distinctive but the arrangement was critical.  They were uplifting.
We were all singing along and dancing at our seats for  “Ob-la-Di’.
I loved Something.  "Back in the USSR" had the most incredible light show. It also came with then epocryphal story Paul told of the Russia high up government official saying ‘we all learned English listening to the Beatles.”
I loved that in the intro to Blackbird he spoke of loving the ‘Micmac’ native Canadian girls’ rendition of it that he’d heard.  She was there at the concert.  He was just so personable and humble and kind.  Grandfather.  Knight of the Queen.

Sgte Peppers Lonely Heart’s Club band was a great song to have as a closing number.  It was the studio album along with the White Album I most loved as I got older.  The Beatles have played on the radio my whole adult life and I've always enjoyed hearing those songs come on.
 Happy Birthday and Helter Skelter were psychedelic.  I drop acid and did mushrooms and smoked pot listening to the Beatles.  The Taoists say that you should sign contracts in two states of consciousness, meaning morning and night at very least or on different days, but I've loved the Beatles in all states of consciousness. Now I loved Paul McCartney after a Roger's Arena cup of coffee. He was the best ever tonight.  I think I'm getting old enough to appreciate his wisdom more.
I loved Band on the Run, seeing Linda and remembering the sadness of that time, knowing that Paul had lived a full life with loss as well.  Yet he still laughed and sang and had this truly touching sense of humour.  I was so thankful he came out to give us the concert of a life time.  3 hours of straight music and memories and entertainment. I was exhausted but he looked like he could have carried on for hours more.
When I get to heaven I hope to hear him there   This concert was that perfect in every way.








No comments: