Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Literary Evening with Pandora's Box Collective, Renee Sarojini Saklikar and Dennis E. Bolen

Cafe Bistro, on Main Street at 29th was a perfect venue for the poetry readings of Renee Sarojini Saklikar and Dennis E. Bolen.  Always glad to hear Dennis read, loving my copy of his poetry book, Black Liquor, it was my first time hearing Renee Sarojini Saklikar . I entered as she was already standing, reading from CanadaProject, her life long poetic chronicle.  Her ‘children of air india’ Oolichan press, was haunting.
Dennis followed with beat poetry, working man verse, to audio stylings, firmly planted in the fabric of BC.  Both poets writings were so local, words, phrases, places, all northwest coast particular, but with themes universal.
Renee from India to Canada, Dennis from Vancouver Island, the two read each others works, before answering questions from the audience
All the while I ate Halibut and Fries, then pecan pie and ice cream, a regular philistine, savouring the Cafe Bistro dilectables while thoroughly enjoying the performance of these two captivating entertainers.  Dennis actually sang a refrain in the middle of a hard hitting poem.   I love the cadence and inflexion of Renee.
Between acts I talked with my CAA friend Lilija, another poet, whose enthusiasm for the Vancouver ‘poetry scene’ inspires.  I was glad I left my comfort zone of home and office.  Though, I'd bundled my hairy little dog in a sweater with a blanket I couldn't leave him longer in the car, this cold winter night.  I was sorry to leave early but glad to find my little friend unperturbed by weather but glad to be reunited with his human. Thanks Dennis and Renee.

hIMG 4674
IMG 4675IMG 4677

No comments: