Sunday, July 23, 2023

Telte Yet Campground

Well, we needed to pick up the Adventurer Camper in Chilliwack.  Laura was up for the adventure.  Madigan was all paws.  A stop at Windsor Plywood served to get some 3/4 inch marine fir to lay in the box.  The ride wasn’t onerous at all. I’d been to Dr. Ready in the morning so we only got away at noon and were loaded up at Chilliwack by 2 pm. We filled up with gas and water at the Esso.  

It was a glorious day with blue sky sunshine and small gaggles of cloud gossiping in the sky.  The mountains were magnificent . The greens so enchanting.  The traffic was surprisingly light. 

A short drive onto Hope and a stop at the grocery.

I wheeled the buggy out with the haul.  Laura stand in the camper as I lifted out the goods

« I don’t know how to shop for a weekend, ». I said.

« I know’, she replied, piling bread and eggs, steak and bacon onto the table. ». « You always get so much. »

« I know, the survivalist kicks in.  It’s related to those periods of poverty in my life , leaving home and after the divorce.  Being hungry left an indelible mark on my psyche even though it was only a few weeks. It must be worse for the refugees and folk who’ve known rationing after a war.  » I said .

« When the children were small and it was hard making ends meet I felt really comforted having food in the cupboards. » she said. 

Here we now were just talking about cholesterol, the American epidemic of obesity, the need we had to lose weight.  

The young native woman at the campground was truly a beauty.  A regular black haired Veronica.  She had a pretty little shy daughter who leaned up against her mommy’s leg.

« Do you have a place for the night. » I asked 

« How many? »

« 2 adults and a little dog. »

« With electricity? »

« Yes , we d love that, ». I didn’t say but Kelvin had just installed air conditioning and I was so excited by this new luxury  The day was really hot  though the winds off the river was cool..  

« I love the wind here. It’s so refreshing , » Laura said, when we chose #5 overlooking the large river meeting.  

« What a glorious place! » I said looking at the river through the trees.  It wasn’t long at all before we had back in hooked up and felt like we were at a home away from home.  

Madigan was glad for a walk.  Every form of camper was here.  Gréât Class A buses hooked to full service, fifth wheels and toy haulers.  Then there were traditional tents and several of the new tents on top of cars.  Converted vans and even a few motorcycle campers.  A Big Foot Camper was next to ours.  While Madigan marks territory every where I enjoy looking at the other camps and campers from everywhere, Asian, European, local.  I still like my truck camper best though younger I know I’d have like the tent that sits on top of the car.  I started camping as a child with family and have camped ever since in tents, and vans and now so enjoy this little home camper van because it can go anywhere with amenities off grid for days or weeks.  

After the walk back in the camper I  made coffee using the handheld Vevok grinder and stove top expresso.   The refriderator was slow to fire up because there was air in the propane lines. Once the stove got going the refridgerator did too.   Laura and I then settled into reading.  Wi Fi wasn’t that good but I plan  next week to have my Star Link with me when I take a week vacation on my own.  

This night it was hard to believe we were here It was a total breakfrom the city.  Another world. 

I pulled the barbecue out and barbecued the corn in the husk. I then did the steak having to watch as the wind blew out the flame at first.  The smells were delicious.  I had potato salad from the Hope grocery as well.  It was a feast. The steaks were succulent and of course Madigan was glad to share with Laura and me.  Laura loved the corn with butter an salt and surprisingly I did too because it didn’t get caught up in my teeth.  The potato salad was perfect and the local bread, Lac La Heche Pioneer bread with spread easy butter was a delicious addition.  We had a butter tarts to finish and Madigan was glad to help.

Another walk with the dog then more reading after a splurge of air conditioning.  I finished Venice Sketchbook by Rhys Bowen.  A wonderful intriguing historical  mystery.  When it came time to sleep I could only cuddle a bit  with Laura before being unable to sleep and reading more of Venice in the quiet night.  So much for late afternoon coffee.  Sitting up with only the screen door and the sound the river was lovely at night. I eventually became sleepy and this time climbed up in to bed and slept till 8 am.  

Laura’s up and we’ve had coffee but I’m going to make bacon and eggs walk the dog and she’s going to shower.  It’s not a mystery or a suspense but rather a magnificent treat after  a week of work in the city.  Thank you Jesus for this adventure and camping.  Thank you Telte Yet natives for letting us share your sacred place . 

















 

No comments: