Saturday, June 17, 2023

Waves Coffeshop, New Westminster

Waves expanded their outdoor seating, presumably with Covid. It’s a delightful setting sitting under the deciduous trees.  The old Trap Block building is a touch of eye candy like the Bank of Nova Scotia.  Building made in a day when architects and economics cared for the outward appearances, before the era of Stalin architecture and box mentality.  I remember learning that architecture was the art of the people because everyone shared, Now the buildings are lacking and the interior designer serves the bottom line masters.  Utilitarianism has it ‘ s merit but I do enjoy looking up at the pretty facade if the Westminster building as opposed. New Westminster has characters old buildings speak to a time of greater grandeur with the newer buildings functionary.  No Trump Tower here. I loved visiting Trump tower and appreciating the architects knew old adage.  The tower gave to the city and was a feast for the eyes.  The selfish palace king had art in his inner chambers that only he could enjoy.  The Rafael wall paintings in the Vatican , only seen by a chosen few before the modern error of tourism let us see what the peasants were denied They had their cathedrals and architecture.

I enjoy my motorcycle and iMax and Ipads.  Technology and vehicles.  Sparrows have joined me at this table an added delight.  Increasingly the wild animals come into the city and live among us. Always the birds but more and more the coyotes, raccoons and now the bears.  

I love that New Westmiinister is awakening. It was dying for a bit with the drug dealers and junkies.  The stores selling bridal gowns and tuxedos celebrating hope and future was juxtaposed with the Thanatos of fentanyl addicted street people.  It’s early now and I expect the death cult who prefer the night have not risen yet. The vampires come out later.  I’m glad to be a dawn person connecting with the tens of thousands of human life that today’s civilization built upon. The early bird got the worm.  Marx was claimed to turn Hegel on it’s head.  Everywhere communism reigns society devolves into corruption and tyranny. The Godless rule like a criminal gang and survive only by theivery and fear, 

A truly well dressed beautiful young Asian woman has appeared on the street. She is wearing a long grey wool sweater and carrying a dangling cream Gucci bag.  Her Asian friend wears a tshirt over a shirt that declares Empathy on the hem.  They had stopped to consult their phones and now have entered Waves. The interior is inviting. I’d be there except I have a canine companion who prefers the street with it’s myriad of scents.  It’s chilly with the wind off the near by river harbour. I’m glad I wore my black wind breaker.

I’ve an open day. I saw Dr. Ready the chiropracter who has this last year helped me immensely.  I can only think this last year of lumbar pain was begun by my slipping in the rain at the crest of Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh. I can only think the message was that I needed to have more self care.  I’ve felt vulnerable with aging and am losing interest in the physical activities that were the centre of my life. I no longer am that interested in hunting and the thought of hauling big game out of the bush has no appeal.  I’m also becoming more sentimental and expect estrogen of age is not just encouraging my passivity but expect it’s renewing my love of reading. I have reached out to the tai chi assocation and wish to renew membership.  That’s the speed I’m more inclined to. I miss my sailing at time but gave a way my scuba gear because it was just too much work . I might yet get a snorkel as I enjoyed swimming without the gear like my spear fishing days in the Sea of Cortez.

I want a new skirt. I find my kilt his heavy but I like wearing short skirts like cavemen of old. It’s the Scottish games today and I’d be there but believe that dogs aren’t welcome. I have to improved my Starlink reception, my task today. Apparently my new router is en route but I have the flag pole buddy I could set up and see if that stops the frequent disruptions in service.  I miss a call up tech who could ‘fix’ this problem.  I enjoy working from home and the virtual works well except when glyches like this arrive. I enjoyed visiting the clinic and appreciated the socialization. I’ve missed church with all the camping we’ve been doing so have good intentions for tomorrow. I’ve no interest in virtual church though a priest friend has sent me the link for her church in Nova Scotia.  I can feel isolated and alone.

It’s June, the cake month and I’m aware that the anniversary day is a mixture of grief and rebirth.  It’s always unsettling then it passes. I’m so glad I’m booked for the IDAA conference as seeing friends of decade who share in celebration is so renewing.  

I had to use a meter which required change and I only had 55 minutes so much leave hoping I’ve not overrun. There’s a dog store across the street and I wanted to get the little guy  more wet food. I loaded up on it but ti’s all in the Truck Camper and he’s not been impressed with what I’ve put out for him. He’s picking and like his Tikki dog food and to date hasn’t accepted any of the other brands of wet food. He prefers participating in my barbecued meals. I’ve chicken marinaded in oil and lemon.  Peter told me he reads recipes daily so I’m giving this marinade a try.  I confess I’d not used much oil in my past marinades so it will be interest. You can’t go wrong with lemon and chicken.  

Well, thank you God for this day. Thank you for the morning meeting and the chiropracter. Thank you for New Westminster.  Thank you for today.  













No comments: