Monday, February 28, 2022

Edinburgh Castle

 Laura and I were warm and cozy in our new Royal Mile clothing, Laura had a lovely pink tartan cashmere scarf from House of Cashmere. I had a red cashmere sweater from Pringle/Harris Tweed. I also had a Harris Tweed Hebrides grey vest, which the locals call a jerkin. With my Vancouver anorak I was warm. The weather was chilly with a little rain spitting. It was very windy on Castle Rock.

We loved the views, For that alone it was worth admission. I also loved the Scotland honours, the crown the sceptre and the Stone of Destiny. The story behind the Stone of Destiny, where Bruce was crowned.but was later taken to England by Long Legs.  Then  some scottish lads not so long ago stole it back in one of the heists of the century.  They carryed it back to Scotland from London in the boot of their car.  Eventually it was repatriated.  The display of Crown and Sceptre and Stone was truly moving.  

They didn't allow pictures.  I did enjoy seeing it. It awakens the Scottish blood.  I swear I could hear Scots way hay playing on the bagpipes somewhere, 

We could see the Firth of Forth from the castle walls. When King James V1 became King James 1 of England he only spent one more night in the castle. He's the one who had the amazing King James Bible compiled but was also a flaming bisexual.  King Charles was the last king to stay there.  Now it's home to the active members of the Royal Army.   

The Memorial hall for all the fallen soldiers of so many wars also did not allow pictures A solemn affair. As a young man I was filled with patriotism long before Voltaire wrote 'patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings.'  I thought of glory and imagined volunteering to serve my country if the call came even though my father who served in the RCAF in WWII admonished me never to volunteer. I even romanticized war and loved Lawrence of Arabia.

I'm old now and it just saddens me how many young men have lost their lives. Still I have all the kit of a highland warrior.  Not just the kilt I wear for Robbie Burns. But the claymore, dirk and 30:06 rifle. The modern automatic assault rifle of the present soldier was there on display. 

Now Putin has invaded Ukraine and everyday the news records the Ukrainian underdog heros fighting the might and tyranny of Russia. Communists believe in war. Marx glorified perpetual war.  Xi Jinping of Communist China invaded Hong Kong, continues to occupy and attacked India.  Taiwan would be annexed already and stripped if it were not for their military and those of the Allies. 

The British Empire did wrong in India but the commonwealth and the peace of those democracies rose from the ashes. Today the errors are with dictatorship though the UN seems to be a clearing house for war and weapons   Communists and other dictators build walls to keep people in.  Refugees and immigrants still flock to the free world.

The British War Museum was incredible to tour.  The fine exhibits of uniforms and tools dated back to the 17th century. I liked the collections of  dirks and claymore.  The Scots had served in the world wars and modern day Iraq and  Aghanistan, 

The painting 'Thin Red Line' from the Crimean war was remarkable to see. Other paintings were equally revealing.  Weapons and kit. Depictions and stories of wars where Scots had served.  All so well displayed.






 





No comments: