Saturday, September 4, 2021

No Evening Hunt

Madigan and I came back down the mountain around 1 am.  We’d been gone since 730.  No deer. No elk. No bear.  Madigan had his first experience with ‘ambush’. He doesn’t do ‘stillness and quiet’ too well. Puppy brain working overtime.  I tried an hour and he was interested. I think he did 3 minutes straight at one point. He learned to stay back too rather than taking the point while I stalked.  It was a glorious day though overcast.
We saw lots of terrain. I’m getting to know this mountain better each visit.  
I’d hoped to go out on the evening hunt.  But after the barbecued back bacon and scrambled eggs I was tired. I lay down to sleep and was out for an hour and a half.  I was still tired when I woke.  No evening hunt. I rode the electric bike down to the Provincial Campground 2 km away. I’m building back my knee with the power assist.  Then it was back at the camper reading.  
I barbecued pork chops and we had them with a salad kit. Delicious. To quote an old adage, everything tastes better in the woods.  I love the smell of the air. It’s like drinking different juices. Flavours of different woods, marsh, smoke.  Everything so savoury.  
Tomorrow I’m ready to go again. I’ll get up earlier and hopefully get away too. I’ll need to get up the mountain and find a place to sit in ambush. If its raining that’s a different matter. It rained a little this evening.  I love this time of the year.  Fall coming out.  Sunshine mostly and if there’s a shower it comes and goes. Not like later in November when the rainy season goes on for a couple of months. 
So many blessings today.  Such a lovely site. Such a lovely place.  Great company. Madigan, dog of dogs.  Great equipment. Now if only a deer, elk or bear would be ready to pass over.  Thank you Creator for such wonders. 












No comments: