Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Riverhaven RV Park, Hedley , BC - Glamping!

Glamping Hunting! That’s as best a description I can come up with for this last 5 days.  Riverhaven RV Park is a glorious find on the Similkameen River. The owners are a delight. Everything is proper. Cute little cursive signs “Beach”, “Dog walk”.  There’s even a horse shoe pit and a place for children to play.  It’s compact but takes double trailer pull through.  I remember the first time I came a decade or more ago I had to use the pull through because I didn’t know how to back up a trailer. The new owners still helped me guiding me in backing up my F350 and Adventurer Camper  and ATV hauling utility trailer   last year.  We in the spring. We’re coming back again later in the fall.  I’ve got the hang of backing up with the utility trailer finally. 

It’s quiet. Beautiful spruce and pine and only the sound of the Silmikameen River after 10 pm. Children playing on the sand beach and dogs on leash.  Everyone friendly.

Meanwhile I’m the killer among them. At least the ‘wannabe killer’.  A trail off from the park connects to endless miles of forest service road and trails.  I must have done a couple of hundred at least this week .  I had my green Honda 420 Rancher literally loaded for bear.  My Ruger Stainless Steel 30:06 on the front rack alongside the Excaliber cross bow.  Black bear season for rifle was open along with bow season for elk and deer.  I had the new Kolpin soft back seat and bag  which Madigan ,the cockapoo could very comfortable.   I tied on the cased Nikon camera at the front and wore a GoPro camera on my helmet too.  

The first day I did hours of afternoon ATV road hunting.  I had to pass  through the barb wire fence, mounting, dismounting, moving the ATV and remounting,   opening and closing the gate so the cattle didn’t get out.  Up the mountain in a clearing, I sited in my Ruger again. I was using Federal 180 grainNosler Partition ammunition.   A few expensive shots confirmed I was shooting true.    On first shot with the Excalibur I hit one inch from the centre at 50 yards so didn’t spend any more bolts. Razor blade pointed bolts are expensive but the weight affects the shot. I target practice with a standard bolt but shot one of the heavier deer killing bolts to confirm accuracy.  Madigan wasn’t at all bothered by the noise , happily running alongside me back and forth between the target and the ATV.  My little cockapoo was in dog heaven.

I saw lots of grouse. Whole coveys.  Madigan was riding behind me on the soft Kolpin seat with a leash from either side of the back ATV rack connecting to his red harness.  When I’d stop I’d let him off to sample cool creek water then he’d bound up to take his seat again.  “Let’s go.” His expression always said.  The pines and spruce were glorious against the blue sky with the mountain ranges rippling like huge waves out to the horizon.  A few white clouds drifted by. I love this time of the year. I was only in my new khaki ‘tactical’ cargo pants , a Harley tshirt and a vest. Later I’d wear the blue jean jacket coming down the mountain.

I was up at 630 dawn but didn’t get away till 8 the next day. The next day it was a 730 start and finally I was able to get away at 630.  I doddle in the morning. Love my stove top expresso.  If it weren’t for my cheerleader Madigan I’d crawl back into the warmth and joy of bed with Laura. Madigan now that he knew what was coming was whining to get going at 600.  My thermos is critical and hand ful of Nature Valley crunchy granola bars. And yoghurt. I popped some Aleve but while my back had been more painful when I arrived, the relaxation and  the rolling camel ride motion of the ATV, like my offshore sailing ship, loosened me up more than a chiropractor. I slept like a dream too.

I enjoyed meeting the father and son. The boy must have been about 10 or 11 yo.  They were both dressed in cammo and the father was on the ATV. The boy had a tripod and 22 rifle and just missed a grouse when I came along. The proud father said, “He got his limit yesterday.”  It was youth grouse season. I missed  the year when we could hunt grouse with bow as well as deer. It cost a lot in bolts but I did bring home some grouse. I only saw one buck this year. I thought it was a buck . I was driving about the back trails slowly on the ATV when I saw it and thought I glimpsed a spike horn.  That’s where I’d come the next day.  For bow hunting you really need to sit by a deer trail.  I drove 27 km back into the woods that day enjoying the weather though it’s was a cooler overcast day.

The next morning heading back to the same spot I saw the deer, finally having got away at dawn, I’d surprise a big cougar. I was creeping along the back trail when this beautiful animal came up out the ditch and turned around after almost running into the front of the ATV.  Not more than 20 feet away in the ditch it turned around again and we stared at each other. I was thinking whether to grab the rifle or the camera but believed cougar season wasn’t till November.  I’ve never shot cat but ate delicious cougar when I was a flyin doctor in the Yukon.  I had a tag but reached for the camera rather stupidly unafraid.  I am a predator and he recognized it. I suspect he was equally curious about the little excited quivering puppy behind me, some sort of human dog cyborg ATV machine.  I couldn’t get the camera out fast enough but watced him slink so gracefully back into the spruce.

I left the ATV where I’d spooked the deer and walked a few hundred yards along the  trail to where I had a good view down the mountain ravine deer trail.  I had my rifle  filled with ammo and had cocked my bow and loaded an arrow. I had my Nikon P2000 telephoto. I had my thermos and pocketful of Nature Valley granola bars. I sat down with my back to a tree and tied Madigan to my leg. The day before he’d only been able to be still for 3 minutes not at all ‘getting the quiet still waiting game of the ambush’.  This day he was magnificent. A couple of hours passed as I dosed in the heat of the morning sun. I drank a couple of cups of thermos coffee and shared some crunchy granola with Madigan who was mostly content to chew sticks and listen and watch.  What a great little hunting dog companion!

At a bout 10 am we walked back to the Honda and loaded up.  More roaming about and exploring. Such beautiful country. Normally I drive on the main at about 20 to 30 km per hour in 3rd or 4th gear while in the back trails I crawls along between 5 and 10 in 2nd or 3rd gear.  I confess on the main logging road I enjoyed at times gunning it finding I could do 55 km/hr in 5th gear easily. I loved deep breathing too smelling the rich aroma of cut logs when I passed active logging sites. The smells in the woods are incredible. Here and there a touch of smoke scent still from the old forest fires of the summer. Then the musky marshy smells by the rivers.  The outdoors is such nose and eye candy. I loved it.

I loved all the birds, magpies, whiskey jacks, falcons, hawks, crows, stellar jays, chickadees. 

Each day I’d come back around 3 and plan for an evening hunt but after lunch and a nap I’d rather hang out at Riverhaven with Laura. She’d spent the day puttering and reading. . I’d put up the Caravan Mesh Screen Tent so we sat outside for dinner and reading. There were very few bugs this time of year and the screen tent kept the rare ones away.    Because all the kids were doing it and an our neighbour had a blow up dinghy, everyone one seemed to be down on the beach playing in the water, I actually put on the Tevas and bathing suit did too. I walked in the shallow water out into the middle of the stream where the chill water was above my neck.  They’d walled off a shallow area with rocks so thanks to the foot wear I was able to walk over that and enjoy the brisk mountain stream cool rush.  I completely immersed and it felt so good but I didn’t linger. Back in the camper I showered and shampooed with hot water.    I love this glamping!

I’d brought the new Motorino folding electric bicycle and rode it down the highway to the provincial park.  Mostly tents with the occasional small RV compared to Riverhaven with only a few tents and mostly buses and fifth wheels. Each night I’d walk the dog around the campground and look at the neighbours. People mostly barbecuing in the evening or sitting about chatting. One older couple were watching a wide screen tv that opened out of the outside wall of their big bus. They were sitting in lawn chairs and I didn’t hear any sound so expect they had it connected to hearing buds.  The provincial fire ban had been lifted so several had campfires going and marshmallows roasting. 

Laura and I read after dinner but as I had to be up early we were in bed by 10 pm.  It was wonderful to lie in the comfort of the camper queen bed looking up through the sky light at the stars poking out amidst the tall spruce trees.  I sleep so well in the country and have the best dreams of my favourite peninsula and the mansions and meetings.  

It’s been a spectacular 5 days.  Bowhunting with Laura has always been sweet with beautiful company and glorious BC fall weather and the dog.  Riverhaven RV Park with electricity, city water, sewage, wi fi and cell service has been more Glamping than Camping. I was even able to do some work though I wasn’t able to load the large company files only keep up with social media and emails.  Because everyone was using it loading pictures took too long for my patience. I did down load another western from Kindle when I finished one.  I expect some of the kids were streaming movies and games.  I expect God stopped Oscar loading to keep me from working all weekend.  Without the main program and the ability to fax in prescriptions I just took the calls and saved the work till I got back phoning pharmacies as needed. It really wasn’t onerous sitting in this heavenly campground. Several of the neighbour men were obviously doing some executive work at their camp tables with laptops, someone having to pay the outrageous high price of gas taxation.  It takes money to haul these homes about even if it is wonderful to have all the comforts of home in the great outdoors. 

Each night I barbecued . Laura made up salads. We had barbecue chicken which Madigan loved, pork and steak.  We had Hagen daz ice cream bars for after dinner.  Sleep was glorious. 

Now its time to pack up. Not much to dismantling camp. The natives in the old days could have their teepees down and horses loaded in an hour or two  and that’s about how long it takes us. I enjoy the moseying about, no hurry.   I used to go for a morning hunt on the last day but now I don’t.  I m just so glad to be off the clock and a way from the rush and pressure of work. Laura loves being out of the city where the Covid downtown is always angry with sirens and windows being kicked in.  She says there’s shouting all night and she loved the relaxation and quiet here and her wonderful sleep.  

Thank you God for a grand place and a fantastic holiday.   



























No comments: