Sunday, September 12, 2021

Friday Hunt

I almost gave up finding this place again. All the construction and changes and big trucks.  It wasn’t at Coquahalla Summit. I turned around and passed Falls Lake where I’d camped.  There it was Britton Creek and Coquahalla Lakes.  I’d found it.  I’d hunted here so many times but not for years.  
I was actually doing the morning hunt too in my truck. I drove too far and ended up deep in section 8 where the restriction is on 4 point bucks. I returned to section 2 and drove the road that runs along the border of the two areas.  There was a 10 KM Parking Lot Recreation Site which I eventually came back and set up at. I could return to section 2 and there was some wonderful hunting areas in 8.  Towing a trailer I was thankful for the space 
I unloaded the ATV from the trailer then loaded it up ‘for bear’.  I had my Argentinian over under 20 gauge and the Ruger 30:06 stainless steel. The sun was hot and I went in a tshirt with a vest for pocket.  
I started on the snowmobile trail but it was so spooky , rolling and rocky, it demanded all my attention. I systematically explored the logging roads off the main for the next 10 km.  
On one of them I saw a grouse.  I stopped the ATV. Lifted up the 20 gauge. Thought of letting Madigan off his back seat leash then changed my mind and stalked up the road loading the shot, going into the bushes where it had run,  It suddenly appeared and I blasted it, shooting over the head so I’d get the least pellets in the meat. I went back for Madigan and he came to see it.  I lifted it up and the blood dripped from the head.  Genetics and breed.  He was ecstatic.  Jumping up and down. After I cleaned it leaving a wing on for identification he wouldn’t stop licking blood off my hand..
We came back to the Camper at 1 pm. I napped. He napped.  I was so tired I didn’t make a sandwich but just had granola bars.
In the evening I headed over to section 2 and sought bucks and grouse. I actually did the evening hunt. I’ve yet to get off the ATV and walk.  I’ve yet to sit in ambush. But for a first day I did my due diligence I was out in the woods where I could shoot game. I was travelling the deepest backwoods on the ATV. I was stopping and scoping. 
I shot a grouse. 
My dog, already a gun dog, is now a bird dog. His first birthday is next week. He’s a really good dog,
Now night is upon us and we’re back in the camper. I’ve got smokies boiling.  There’s a really chilling wind and some sprinkle of rain and I didn’t feel like getting out he barbecue.  I’ve fresh bread.  Smokies with mustaard and bread and potatoes I’ll have with butter and sour cream is pretty decent meal
Thank you God that we stayed safe and despite the dangerous outback areas and the gnarly quadding we retured alive and un maimed. Thank you for the grouse.  Thank you that our gear was here when we returned, Truck and camper and trailer all safe.  Thank you that I found my way out of the woods in the dark. Thank you for Madigan a great companion. Thank you for a spectacular day of hunting.
Falls Lake turn around

10 Km Parking Lot Recreation Site

















No comments: