Sunday, April 4, 2021

Riverhaven Motel and RV Park

We are so happy with Riverhaven RV Park just past Princeton, near Heldey on the Number 3 highway. I booked a full service spot for our truck camper weeks ago. 4 nights over Easter weekend. Laura has been exhausted with so many demands at her medical clinic from so many immunocompromised patients with anxiety about Covid. Only a couple of months back their nurse contracted Covid so everyone was quarantined for a week. Fortunately only the nurse tested positive and recovered quickly. Masks and anxiety and constant concern about sanitizing,for over a year,  has taken its toll.Laura and I are at least thankful we’ve had the vaccine.
I’ve been working virtual but am now back in the clinics part time. So much despair, depression and anxiety. Families breaking up, people relapsing or succumbing to drug and alcohol, suicide attempts and confusion with conflicting messages. We both were looking forward almost desperately to this vacation.
We had to load the Adventurer  camper and tow the new Lowe’s Utility trailer carrying the new Honda 420 Rancher ATV. So many moving parts. Dewinterizing the RV, testing Hester and pumps and water systems. Everything working. We left  we left Vancouver at 10 am and I overshot our destination going an hour further to Keremeos. We finally arrived at 5 pm with the sun still out. I was pooped to say the least with the first trip of the season.
We pulled into Riverhaven RV camp elated. It felt like my off shore sailing days when I’d finally reach a safe harbour. The young folk at the office were just so welcoming. A beautiful lady and a fine young man. He walked ahead of me to show me the site. Just perfect. I wasn’t sure how I’d get in with the utility trailer but an older gentleman, still much younger than me, suggested I unload the ATV, unhitch the trailer and back my truck and camper into the spot. My brain wasn’t working after the long drive and loved the caring suggestions. I was in. There was room to hand maneuver the trailer and a place to put the ATV.  I was so thankful for the efficient help. Then he was gone, almost like A super hero. I’m not good at backing anything up, especially when I come off a long drive.
The campground was pristine. All the hook ups appeared relatively new. All the signs fresh painted. Laura liked that there was room between us and our neighbours. I had the struts up and the camper leveled, shore electricity and city water attached. I’d attach the sewage hose the next day. 
It’s really a family centered place with quiet after 11. Dogs welcome but on a leash. Outdoor fires in spots on site and a ready supply of wood brought round each day. The Similkameen River runs below the campsite with a sand beach alongside it. There’s games and a small gift and canteen in the office. 
Because of Covid everyone was in their bubble and frankly we liked that. I felt like I was at Disney though having not seen so many children for along time. Big rigs, buses and toy haulers each seemed to have two or three children and at least one dog. There were the Europeans, too, I think Germans, a group of four enjoying outdoor dining and  fireside laughter.  They’re consummate campers.
I barbecued steaks and boiled carrots and potatoes with butter and sour cream. Another night pork chops and salads. Another night ribs. I like to barbecue and Madigan and Laura don’t discourage me. The air was so fresh. The  campground is in a spruce and fir grove. Birds are plentiful. We woke to birdsong and the scent of woodsmoke and bacon. It inspired me to fry up bacon sandwiches. Another morning I fried eggs. No restaurant is as good as the food you cook yourself in the great outdoors.
Each afternoon I loaded up the Honda 420 with camera, guns, pack sack and Madigan with his harness attached to a box. There a trail that leads out from the campsite up the mountain. I had to open and close a barb wire fence gate then I was able to head across the lower steppes to connect with the forest service road that goes over the mountain for miles. 
This Honda is the fourth generation of ATv’s Previously I had a Polaris, The great Yamaha 450 quad, the terrific Honda Pioneer 500 side by side, and now after a typical intermittent stint with 2 wheel off road motorcycle, this last one, a KTM690 , I’m back to 4 wheels with a place for Madigan. 
I just love the Honda 420 Rancher even if I had to look up on internet how to get the emergency brake to work. At Riverhaven there were several others with ATv’s. Across from us the young couple with young children had the amazingly futuristic Polaris Razor side by side. Others  had older quads or side by sides. We’d see them head out and come back or we’d pass each other on the top of the mountain where trails go for miles. I’d explored these years before with the Yamaha in fall. Late fall is when the hunting is good on the far side of the mountain, This side there’s no hunting private land and the ATV’s keep the game and hunters on the far side of the mountain. This was my first time up here early spring with snow still on the ground and the air chilly compared to the valley
Madigan my 6 month old Cockapoo puppy loved being with me on the quad. I’d brought my 20 guage /22 combo rifle and the 30:06. I wanted to introduce Madigan’s to guns. It’s a big moment in a haunting dogs life. Madigan passed the test with aplomb.. The first 22 shot startled him but once he realized I’d made the noise, he stood beside my leg for another 5 shots. I continued with the 20 guage shot gun firing off two shots that didn’t phase him. I could tell he thought the Ruger 30:06 was loud. I find it loud but again he was nonplussed even though I fired off several shots. Madigan was a gun dog. He’d passed his gun trials with flying colors, He was  so pleased that I was so pleased with him. My big little boy!We ate a can of sardines together at the top of the mountain later. It’s good to have a hunting buddy.
Each morning I wrote a chapter of the book I’m working on, typing out about 5 pages each day. There’s internet and cell coverage so I was able to handle emergencies from the clinic and keep in touch with patients. Laura has loved reading, drinking coffee and walking around this very peasant safe camp ground. The owners house is right there and they walk about and deliver wood. They are not at all chatty intrusive sorts just observant and available. 
When Madigan bit through his harness and escaped from his box today everyone whistled so I looked and there was the little escape artist on the road by the side of the ATV. I was thankful people watched out for each other. It’s that kind of place. Madigan spent the afternoon being spoiled by Laura who calls him ‘her baby’. After passing his gun trials I was glad he was spoiled. Without him on the Honda I confess I sped faster and made more daring climbs.
 I sighted in the Ruger .223. I keep my rifles in storage so gathering them in for this outing was one of the things I had to fit into my week of clinical work as well. I forgot a clip so had to use the rifle as a single shot. All the rules of storing rifles with multiple locks and separate from the ammo resulted in me without the clip. Despite that I awkwardly loaded single shot and confirmed that all my rifles were shooting okay, roughly the same as when I’d used them last fall. I saw one other fellow target practicing in the backwoods, thinking we were probably the only ones at Riverhaven who were ostensibly hunting. If I’d seen a bear I might have shot it. But I didn’t see anything but Chickadees, Magpies and Clark’s nutcrackers.. I enjoy photography as much as hunting at this point in my life and am glad that I didn’t have to drag game out of the forest and do the work of butcher. The last bear I shot took me 6 hours to get it out of the woods and skinned and butchered from the time I shot it. I confess I’m happy to rest on my laurels as a hunter. My favourite hunting remains upland bird and I can tell already that Madigan is going to be a great grouse dog like his cockapoo predecessor Gilbert. Gilbert chewed off his harness when he was a pup too. I just have to learn to take it off him after he’s been riding in the vehicles.
Laura and I are so thankful for the care, cleanliness and hospitality and Riverhaven. It’s been an immensely re energizing vacation around the best of people. The air is filled  with the  exquisite scent of evergreens and mountain stream. It is so fresh it makes Sleeping idyllic. We look up through the ceiling hatch at spruce and star studded skies.
It’s Easter too. Today is eastern Sunday. Christ has risen. Hallelujah! Normally we’d be a church and the north shore round up. But here we are taking a much needed break from Covid in God’s cathedral of trees. Hallelujah, Christ is risen! 




















No comments: