Sunday, November 1, 2020

All Saints Day

Well, I made it to church.  St. Barnabas Anglican , New Westminster. This is my second outing since Covid.  I was at my men’s meeting but I’ve only been to outdoor cafe’s or gone inside for errands. A couple of times I’ve been in a very safe restaurant with partitions and masked hostesses and conscientious concern for cleanliness.  My friend is comfortable there.  
I acquired TB working on northern reserves and was treated for a year with antibiotics which likely caused my mild deafness. I do say that the deafness was caused by guns, rock and roll music, and ex wives but in fact it’s more likely the TB medication.  The ex wives were extremely appealing and soft spoken mostly except when drunk.  We were all drunk on passion imbibed. The music was better than anything today and truly soothed the soul. The guns were for hunting and I wore protection and was rarely shot at.
Today  I was at St. Barnabas and truly uplifted.  I’m a Christian.  I believe that Jesus Christ was and is the son of God. I believe we are all God’s children.  I believe in miracles and I love the church.  I was raised Christian and taught to pray on my knees beside my bed by my loving mother. My parents were truly saints. I love the Saints, foremost St. Francis, Saint Patrick, St. Thomas, Saint Peter, Saint John, Saint Luke, Saint Matthew, St. Theresa of Avala, Saint John of the Cross.  As a student  of Paramahansa Yogananda who venerated Jesus Christ, I learned his prayer, “Saints of all religions, I bow to you all, may your love shine forever the sanctuary of my devotion.” 
I loved the Quaker song, “May the long time sunshine, always surround you, and the pure light within you, guide your way home.”
It was lovely to be in this wonderful old wood building with the dedicated stained glass windows. I loved the pews and seeing the pastors little dog.  Gilbert, my cockapoo, always came to church with me. The Bishop blessed him.  The dogs were friends.
Rev.Emilie Smith is the parish priest at St. Barnabas.  She is so kind and loving, welcoming and resourceful.  The church was Covid safe.  There are elderly and ill here and it was clearly apparent to my medical eyes that all was done to make parishioners safe.  I loved this.  Patty, who sings like an angel, directed me to the socially distanced pew seat with a piece of paper tape.  Everyone wore masks.   There were not many there.  Enough though. The congregation has been staggered coming on alternating Sundays. The services are filmed. I’ve watched some.  Church is community and despite being away I knew,  like the prodigal son, or daughter,  I’d always be welcomed.  I’ve been mostly by myself, working, interacting with a very few neighbours and my friend Laura, in touch with the clinic staff, zoom meeting colleagues, but generally rather isolated and alone. I was thankful today to feel that warmth of caring and concern that is the essence of Church,  the body of Christ. 
I enjoyed the ritual. I enjoyed the piano playing of Sathia Aurelia and the psalm singing of Patti Powell.  She had a special mask for singers.   Martha and Lorne read.  They removed their masks for the readings as did Emilie for Eucharistic prayers. Their faces focused down.   It’s always good to hear scripture. I love the Holy Book. Today , Beatitudes was one of the readings. 
Matthew 5:3-12
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness,
 For they shall be filled
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy
Blessed are the poor in heart , for they shall see God
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness sake, 
 For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
It’s good to hear this again and again.  I loved the service. I worried about Communion but Emilie alone, for all of us, drank of the blood of the lamb while all of us were handed a wafer for the body of Christ. We  participated in this ancient rite, safely.   
Metaphor or miracle. It always gives pause.  The great modern Christian song is, “Were you there when the crucified the Lord.’  Yes, I was. The message of the archetypal play is we are all the players in the story, not just victim but victimizer too. I am a sinner and don’t judge others for their peculiar sins. I have my own preferred character defects and failures in the service of a higher power.  
I love St. Barnabas for it celebrates Eucharist. We are welcomed and loved in faith.  We learn and  appreciate Grace.
I know the young are partially immune because caronavirus’s are the stuff of the common cold. The problem is this virus, Covid 19, was made and released from the Wuhan Lab. At Halloween it’s good to reflect on how well our leaders here in BC have handled this ‘zombie virus’, the first of it’s kind.  It’s weakening and the treatments are coming fast.  Death rates (deaths per million)  around the world are plummeting.  The science is incredible and I’m thankful to be associated with UBC a true leader in the therapeutics.  A vaccine may even be possible and one not grown on dead baby cells. The advances are phenomena. I love Moore’s law.  Researchers all over the world are creatively responding to this unprecedented attack and threat. 
I hate to admit that I have ‘faith’ and know ‘faith the size of a mustard seed’ can move mountains but am still germophobic at this time. Jesus commanded “do not be afraid’ so really, worrying is wicked.  That’s doesn’t mean God wants me to be foolhardy or take unnecessary risks.  Faith without works is dead. (James 2:26)   We are presently facing a pandemic but the mental health consequences of that pandemic are epidemic.  I talk and video conference each day with the lonely, depressed, anxious. I hear weekly from those who have relapsed with drugs and alcohol.  I counsel couples so overwhelmed they wish to divorce. I have been so thankful when I’ve phoned the police to help patients who have told me they were about to suicide and couldn’t be convinced otherwise.  The New Westminster and Burnaby Police have saved countless lives.  I’m thankful for my colleagues in the hospitals who have helped my patients.  My patients have been lost jobs, been financially bankrupt, had parents die, they couldn’t be with.  So many are alone and alienated.  
Mostly I’m thankful for faith.  I’m thankful for the church.  
I was so glad to see Reverend Emilie raising spirits with her love. She reminded me of that sixties, folk song, “You will know we are Christians by our love’. 
The backbone of any group are the workers and doers. Too often these are the unsung heros. Today Maureen Shirley, one of the truly loving and dependable saints ,was invested into the Order of the Diocese of New Westminster. She has always been kind to me and others. 
St. Barnabas is called the “Beacon on the hill, where all are welcome.”  It’s been here since 1891.  Truly a source of light in today’s storm. I was thankful to be there this, All Saints Day. Hallelujah! Hallelujah!














No comments: