Friday, December 7, 2018

Nutcracker, Royal Winnipeg Ballet. Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Royal Winnipeg Ballet did an awesome performance of  Tchaikovsky “Nutcracker”.   Artistic Director Andre Lewis is to be commended royally. Choreographers Galina Yordanova and Nina Menon were amazing. Paul Daigle’s costume design was out of this world.  I loved the mice. The polar bear were terrific too but all the ballet dancers were colourfully costumed in what seemed perfect for each of their roles.  Brian Perchaluk, Scenic designer with Michael Whitfield lighting designer made the best of  sets that showcased so well all the performances.  The sleigh was terrific.

I loved all the dancers and all the performers.  They were simply outstanding.  The children were delightful.  All in all it was a fabulous evening. I was enchanted from beginning to end.  The intermission was a bit jarring given how captivated we were by the wonder of the production. The skill of the dancers was such that they made the most gruelling dance appear effortless.  

Tonight’s performance made me proud to be from Winnipeg.  I had had seasons tickets  to the Royal Winnipeg Ballet 40 years ago. I loved seeing the Nutcracker over and over again but this surpasses all I’ve seen before.  Tchaikovsky is timeless.  The music is so uplifting.  I love classic ballet. 

I love Ballet BC and so enjoy season’s tickets. I love that they hosted the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. It was such a jolt of nostalgia.  I remembered fondly Arnold Sporr . All the men in the audience wore dark suits and the ladies wore great gowns back then. Winnipeg was such a sophisticated city and so supportive of the arts. .  I’ve enjoyed Ballet BC gaining the recognition and appreciation they deserve through the leadership of Emily and John. 

Thank you all for an unforgettable evening.  


















No comments: