Sunday, September 30, 2018

St Barnabas Anglican Church and Shiloh-Fifth Avenue United Church

St. Barnabas Anglican Church certainly is a welcoming church.  As Gilbert and I arrived Reverend Emilie Smith, Parish Priest and Rector welcomed us. Her frisky little dog immediately barked a greeting to Gilbert and Gilbert’s little tail wagged up a storm.

I loved the interior of the church. Since moving to Burnaby I’ve been a church tourist and delighted to see this church while running errands in New Westminster yesterday on my motorcycle.   When I saw at their website that (stbarnabasparish.ca) that this day was to be an early St. Francis Blessing of the Animals day I knew Gilbert and I had to go.

The building is exquisite. Warm and old and holy.  The young pianist was practicing with the very little choir who were however very good.  The Rev. Shannon Tennant, the Shiloh-5th Avenue United Church Minister, the parish’s were mixed to day but normally use the church together, 10 am Anglican Sunday worship, 11:30 am United.  Rev Shannon’s beautiful white dog immediately greeted Gilbert.  The lovely blond sitting next to me welcomed me and got me the program and song books.  They were using a mix of Anglican and United.  

While Gilbert was blessed by Rev. Emilie, Rev. Shannon conducted most of the service today.  Rev. Laurel Dykstra from a watershed ministry gave the sermon, more social and political than my taste. I seek the inspirational and traditional in church, most uplifted by the sermons of Dr. James Houston of Regent College.  I prefer, Repent the End is nigh to Repent the Planet is dying.  However I  love the Christian history of Stewardship and Environmentalism so that this was a very apropos sermon for the Blessing of the Animals day.  The congregation all around me very much enjoyed the talk. 

At communion. I was glad to receive grape juice from Rev. Laurel, having noted that the bread was much better than the flat wafer. I wonder if that reflected the gentility of the Anglican set over the United or vice versa. Perhaps with combined resources they can serve better bread. Tran substantiation is beyond such earthly consideration, of course.

When I attended a church in California the screen writer who gave the sermon did quip about the Californians having a better selection of wines than neighbouring states.  I love ecclesiastical humor and noted that the ministers were all delightfully light hearted.  None took themselves too seriously. No pomposity or airs at St. Barnabus.

At the Peace, greeting neighbours I delighted in the pleasantness of everyone. Gilbert escaped and greeted a big dog he’d been wanting to visit up to that point. They had a marvellous visit till their owners pulled them apart.

It was all really friendly and welcoming. An inclusive church. Something for everyone.  I liked the children. A church is always best when there are children and dogs. I like churches where dogs are welcome.  Gilbert really liked this church and he’s the best judge of churches I know.

After the blessing, we all filed out.  There was a potluck lunch today instead of the normal coffee and tea. I’ve had some really fine church lunch experiences with great fellowship and conversation but today I’d other plans.

Laura texted me that she’d enjoyed the website and would enjoy attending some time when she’s visiting.  Gilbert would like that.  We’ve attended many church services together.  

I did like also that they’re planning a 5 week series on Thursday to go through the Letter to James.  The Holy Bible is such a moving book. I really wish my schedule allowed me to participate more in such activities. The Letter to James is fascinating and small group study and discussion is so rewarding. 

Thank you Jesus for St. Barnabas Anglican Church and Shiloh-5th Avenue United Church. 





















No comments: