Sunday, September 23, 2018

Anacortes Oyster Run 2018

Great ride down on the Harley Electra glide. Chuckunut Road never ceases to give joy. The awesome views of the ocean, winding road through evergreen corridors.
Now I’m in downtown Anacortes at Island Cafe.  There’s the rumble of Harleys and the bumble bee buzz of  crotch rockets in the background. I’ve a window side table where I’m eating raw oyster and clam chowder soup. There’s a whole lot of bikers in leather walking by, lots still wearing their chaps, others stripped down to club vests and jeans.  The women are most beautiful. More and more come on their own motorcycles. A lot still ride behind their rich men on big touring motorcycles, couples who can afford them.  
Here and there is a gang member, a Bandido or such but they’re less than a thousandth of the gathering, Christian bikers and War veterans bikers much more prevalent.  The Combat Veterans even have a booth and the word ‘combat’ is obviously distinguishing.  Did I say the women were beautiful? Lots of bearded men.  It’s America so land of luxury and fat with no one commenting on the prevalence of bellies.  We joke that that’s why we need the big cc bikes, to haul our old white haired lard asses.The crotch rocket set and the Harley Sportster crowd are slim and trim and more fashionably dressed.  The Victory crowd are really stylin. The Indian set, a vintage breed apart.  Lots of choppers and some incredible bike art. I talked to a young guy on a KTM Duke. The prettiest little girl was riding a Rebel. Lots of Yamaha and Honda’s too. The Trikes and Spiders are becoming more and more popular too. 
A rock band was playing when I arrived. The hour and a half wait at the border delayed me some while I only got away at 12 having planned to leave before 10.  It’s an accomplishment to make it another year. Don Pollock got me out to my first Oyster Run years past. 
I didn’t realize back then how sober bikers generally are. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was a classic in the mindset of mainstream bikers. Now there’s a whole lot of adventure bikers touring the world. The Triumph Tiger and later BMW got into that market. I still argue that my Harley Electraglide is the best American freeway bike ever developed. I loved riding across the country and back to Sturges. The trip down here on the #5 freeway then along the back roads thorough Pacific Northwest farming areas made me love my Harley all over again. It’s just such an amazing machine.
Anacortes is such a sweet little family town back drop for this long standing biker  rally.  Quilting stores ,lots of sea side tourist items along side furniture stores and lots of variety in restaurants and coffee bars.  I’ve come here in summer on the bike just to enjoy the town when it’s quiet.  Anacortes rocks all the time.  But really this day it roars.   




























No comments: