Wednesday, May 13, 2009

CAA - DAPHNE BRAMHAM


"You should remove all the men!" she said at the CAA meeting. Daphne Bramham was speaking about Bountiful, the Polygammy Capital of Canada. National Post calls the book, "Gripping, Illuminating and Infuriating." Much the same could be said about Daphne Bramham in person. She told an extraordinary tale though.
"The Secret Lives of Saints - Child Brides and Lost Boys in Canada's Polygamous Mormon Sect" published by Random House, 2008 was her first book. Already a National Bestseller and nominated for 4 literary awards it wasn't an easy write for this Vancouver Sun Columnist and 30 year journalist. Tasked by the paper to cover the Utah rape trial of Warren Jeffs, "the fugitive prophet" she was deadlined by Random House to have proofs read during the same trial. The extent of her research and the number of interviews that went into it alone make the book a must read on this literally hot topic. It's clearly not just about Bountiful. Sharing the unpublished material in her talk much as she does in her blog, Think Tank, she told of the hypocricy of Canada condemning the human rights abuses of the Taliban in a foreign country while turning a blind eye to what goes on publicly outside Creston, British Columbia. I've bought the book and reading it I"m envious of the hard hitting journalist style that propells the story while giving us all the facts. As an author she had to share the costs with Random House to have a lawyer read the book. In the end it was all poet Jean Kay could do to bring a fast and furious question and answer session to an end so she could thank Daphne Branham on behalf of the CAA.

After, it was just great to meet with all the other authors and hear how they were progressing. Arriving late I'd been glad that Cathy Barzo was there to catch me up. Mackay has his book out to publishers. He commented on my 'dramatic' late entrance. Craig McLachlan arriving minutes later, no doubt waiting for the right moment, upstaged me. Bernice (Colour of Words) was reading something about dead people she recommended. I've only a ghost of a title so must email her for it's resurrection. Margaret (Just Mary) and Perry from "Our" writer's circle made me feel all Bloomsbury when outsiders shared they'd heard great things about "Our" writer's circle. Nuttall-Smith had his book about 10th century meso american priests and warriors out to the reader. I told him how much I admired his painting. He said he might have prints out for the next CAA auction. Dalton was at the door so I could tell him we'd been reading his nautical adventure book, Baychimo, on my sailboat. There were dozens more there but I've forgotten their names because I haven't yet read their books.

No comments: