Monday, September 7, 2026

Nicola Valley Rodeo, Merritt BC

I am loving this rodeo. Grandad came from Scotland and started a ranch in Northern Manitoba eventually becoming the Reeve.  One of my uncles was a true blue cowboy living his life like the song of Desperado and living in bunkhouses single his entire life, as comfortable on his horse as he was in his pick up truck. Other uncles logged and ranched but Dad moved to the city and became an Engineer after serving in WW 2 with RCAF.  Mom and he met at a dance for servicemen. I grew up watching Rifleman and Bonanza on tv. Visits to the ranch were infrequent due to distance but Grandad and the uncles would come down in winter when they could get free from the constant work of cattle and logging.  
My first horse was a Clydesdale grandad lifted me up on to mother’s horror and my astonishment. I was 6 years old and sitting on top of the world.  Later I’d ride lots of ponies as a young man. Later on trail rides, being tall I’d usually get the Morgan.  We actually made it to the Calgary Stampede a couple of times.  First was when I was 10 and I came home with a white cowboy hand at boots. Dad loved rodeo’s . Mom , being from Toronto, not so much. The chuck wagon races at the Calgary stampede remain forever etched in my mind. So much more exciting that cars and Bullittl.  I loved the barrel races young and was astonished at the roping. 
 Dad would take me riding with him when I was 12.  We’d get to the indigenous riders near home  Later I’d live in Mexico where rodeo’s were big too.  The tv show Yellowstone brought me back to my roots. Since I’d got my Harley it had been a decade since I even went trail riding.  Wayne Andrew’s , world champion Broncho riding, had a spread up in Mount Currie.  It started with me booking a trail rides with my friend who rode dressage.  A very proper riding lady.  Wayne would become friends and take us riding western and Man from Snowy River.  When I was a country doctor in Morris Manitoba I actually was there for the rodeo with Gordon Lightfoot singing and playing guitar at night.  There were evening dances with the rodeo. I thought about attending but was happier with the idea of going early to bed after a full day in the sun and fresh air. The weather has been a blessing all weekend.  Rain forecast but sunshine monstly instead. 
Now here I was blessed to be at the Nicola Valley Rodeo bleachers packed with families, dogs and children.  Horses every where. Gorgeous cowgirls and handsome cowboys.  What an event!!! The Broncho Riding was incredible. I’d loved the cattle roping especially team events.  I really am a barrel racing fan. And the kids trying to hold the ponies was delightful.  
The bull riding was extraordinary. It took me back to Crete and Minos empire with the games the Minoan cattlemen played in Knossos Palace Crete 3000 bc.  Ranching has a real history.  These cowboys are part of ancient traditions.  All over the world variations of cowboys and cattleman from Greece to Argentina to Merritt BC. And here I was watching these incredibly crazy brave men riding wild steers.  Cowboy chiropractics for sure.
I loved it. The main events were 1 to 4 Saturday. At intermission I took Madigan for a walk around the wide variety of sales booth and concession. I bought my friend Laura the most unique earrings. The leather work was beautiful and a real variety of cowboy hats and boots.  I’m going back today for the second day of rodeo. I really feel like this is something I can’t get enough of now and wonder how I went a decade or so without getting back to one or even riding horses.  I’m so thankful this Nicola Valley Rodeo has been so endearing and spectacular.  


















No comments: